L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Image of the month competition, anyone?

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Postby monks » Thu May 25, 2006 9:50 pm

Wowser- nice shots Seer! I don't think I'm going to have anything for this- when's the closing date again?

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Fri May 26, 2006 6:24 am

Hello,

monks wrote:...when's the closing date again?

The end of the month, which is Midnight on Wednesday (measured in GMT; local times will vary). I'll call 'last drinks' a few hours before I lock the gallery so as to give warning.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Rofar » Mon May 29, 2006 3:13 pm

Mine are posted. Not nearly as impressive as the other ones but I didn't let that intimitade me from posting mine :)
Rofar
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Wed May 31, 2006 1:38 pm

Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder: the competition is set to close in a wee-bit over 10 hours from now.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed May 31, 2006 5:31 pm

Hay Monks,

Get some entries in Dude, you a slacken I see. Your an awesome artist dude, and I want to see some cool images from you, hurry it up, time is a waisten :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll: :roll: :idea: :idea: :? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) only a few hours left.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:18 am

Time's up. Judgement pending.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to congratulate all the entrants for the inaugural Image of the Month Competition on their fine work. Each entry showed us a different aspect of terrain rendering, and all were a pleasure to behold.

Before I get to the judgement, I'd like to take a few moments to discuss what I really liked about the images received. In no particular order:

DeathTwister's renders were well-composed, combining an interesting heightfield (I like the plateau!) with the excellent atmosphere and terrain-detail for which Terragen is renowned.

SeerBlue gave us two striking images of an eroded mountain protruding from a desolate wasteland. Again, Terragen's sky and terrain detail produced a hauntingly realistic scene. The use of an L3DT light map as a surface map for Terragen was also very innovative and effective.

Forboding Angel's image is an excellent exhibition of TA-Spring's terrain and water-renderer. The custom desert climate was particularly well-done.

The tree-rendering in Rofar's images scored highly on technical merit, especially since trees and vegetation were conspicuously absent from the other entries. This is clearly a project to keep an eye on.

dEaThMaStEr's images from TSE set the standard in water and atmosphere rendering. To have achieved that quality in a real-time renderer was most impressive.

I fretted for some time over the right mix of criteria by which to objectively judge these very different entries, such as realism, technical achievement, artistry of composition, et cetera. In the end, I couldn't do it, so I made my decision based purely on my subjective aesthetic preferences. Accordingly, and by a narrow margin, I am pleased to announce the winner of the May Image of the Month Competition is:

...drum-roll please...

Forboding Angel

Congratulations on a lovely image. Eternal fame and glory are yours, as is the honour of choosing a theme for this month's competition (if you so desire).

I had previously proposed that the winner also judge next month's competition, but on second-thought I think it better if we use a popular vote of forum members. Otherwise we would have to exclude the victor/judge from competing for a month, which wouldn't be all that great.

So, once again, I congratulate Forboding Angel, SeerBlue, dEaThMaStEr, DeathTwister and Rofar on their excellent work, and I eagerly wait to see what they will cook-up for this month's competition.

- Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:09 pm

WOO HOO grats Forboding Angel!!!!!!

Way to go bro. Yes I agree very nicly done brother. It is awesome, not to mention a great screen shot, good composition as well from an artistic point of view on all levels. My choice would have been yours or Seer blues, again Aaron hits the nail on the head.

So yaya what is the theme for next month dude? haa haha hes on the spot now ROTFL.

Aaron wrote:
The use of an L3DT light map as a surface map for Terragen was also very innovative and effective.

Going to have to play with that light map idea also you talked about Aaron, good idea :idea:

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby monks » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:52 pm

Wehey!! congrats to everyone who got a mention from Aaron The Arbitrary :lol:
Congrats to Foreboding Angel :)

I is indeed a slackin' DT- I am working on a piece at the mo (so no way this time round) which will employ L3DT- I'll keep that by for the next comp.

Cheers,
monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Joshua » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:58 pm

Congrats, Angel! :wink:
Joshua
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:08 pm

Winks at Monks :wink: DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Heh, congrats!

Myself, I'll stick with TSE as my renderer, it seems to work for me pretty well. Can't wait to see what the theme for this month'll be. I wanna get started on it in good time, not 3 weeks late like last month.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Rofar » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:03 pm

Congrats!

I was really impressed with everyones entries. I would have had a heck of a time trying to judge a winner but Forboding would have definately been in the running.
Rofar
Luminary

Postby SeerBlue » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:02 pm

Congratulations F.A., as well as to everyone else, I really like the idea of this competition that so many different renderers/allowed variations on the theme L3DT can be used, it allows a wider participation and displays the capabilites of both the user and renderer. Certainly widened my perspective on what is out there. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:15 pm

Hay all,

SeerBlue wrote:
Congratulations F.A., as well as to everyone else, I really like the idea of this competition that so many different renderers/allowed variations on the theme L3DT can be used, it allows a wider participation and displays the capabilites of both the user and renderer. Certainly widened my perspective on what is out there. SeerBlue

I agree as it is very cool to see how ones terrain looks in different programs and editors, not just the vid game engines. Truly awesome stuff was submitted and Seer is right about showing the strengths and weeknesses of other siftware with L3DT.
But hay, getting them into a engine is also and mainly what it is all about for us God type builders of worlds. Chit God did it in 7 days, with Aarons software we can now do it in Hours, and still have time to party ROTFL.

So what is the theme for next Month? inquiring minds need to know /winks..... If I can get this square size and error metric figured out this month I will be happy, as it is atm my height field seems to be not right, the mountains are way to high for what they really are. Have to go out of town again today :cry: , but going to mess with the error metric to see if that is my problem. I miss my work, to much running around to get what I love done, DOH..... :roll: :wink:

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

PreviousNext

Return to Image competition