L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Image of the month competition, anyone?

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Image of the month competition, anyone?

Postby Aaron » Fri May 12, 2006 7:08 am

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in an 'image of the month competition'? If so, please drop by the users' gallery and upload some screen-shots to the 'this month's entries' album. Eternal fame and glory is the prize.

The draft-rules for the competition are:
  • The terrain or texture must be generated by L3DT.
  • You may use whichever renderer you like (or games - I like games!).
  • There are no restrictions on post-processing of terrain/texture/images.
  • Submissions close at midnight on the last day of the month.
  • You may submit up to 3 images per competition.

All judgements will be final, arbitrary, and unpredictable.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Sun May 14, 2006 8:51 pm

All judgements will be final, arbitrary, and unpredictable.

:lol:

'All judgements will be random'- saves space :lol:

I think this is a great idea- personally I can't promise to be entering too much though.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Rofar » Mon May 15, 2006 9:41 pm

I'm going to try to get an entry in for this :)
Rofar
Luminary

Postby SeerBlue » Tue May 16, 2006 4:58 pm

I will give it a try also, eternal fame is a great persuader. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby Forboding Angel » Thu May 18, 2006 4:23 pm

I put in my submission :D

Whakamatunga Riri
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue May 23, 2006 7:02 am

Hello,

monks wrote:All judgements will be random'- saves space :lol:

Oh, but being random takes all the fun out of being arbitrary :wink:

Forboding Angel wrote:I put in my submission

Very nice indeed. I like your desert climate, and the water-renderer in Spring is most pleasing to the eye.

To everyone else:

Seeing as there is about one week left to go in the current competition, I'd like to take this opportunity to goad...er...encourage the other members of the users' community to take a chance and contribute:
  • Are there any other Spring users out there willing to throw their hat into the ring? It’s a very pretty game, I see.
  • And what about the Battlefield 2 game-modders? I've been generating your reg-keys, so I know you're out there.
  • Is anyone, by any chance, developing their own game? (I have a soft-spot for games-in-development)
  • Has anyone ever used Terragen? I've heard good things about it. I believe it can render terrain, no?
  • Middle Earth is so lovely this time of year...
  • I’ve been looking at adding a 3D-renderer to L3DT, but I’m not sure which 3D engine/SDK to use. Has anyone tried TGE/TSE/Blitz3D/Ogre/GLScene/Irrlicht/Truevision3D/CA-3DE/CrystalSpace/etc?
  • Artists are very creative people, I do believe.

Please accept my apologies for forgetting you if you don't fall into one of the categories above, and if you do, please accept my apologies for the petty taunts. Feel free to submit an image in spite of me.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

PS: What do we think of the idea that the winner gets to set the theme of the next competition and/or judge the entries? Would this be chaos? Would it be more chaotic than me doing the same job?
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby SeerBlue » Tue May 23, 2006 2:00 pm

:oops: Okay, I know this is probabaly answered somewhere, but I have been up for a Lonnnnnng time (quit my case of soda every 2 days habit and started drinking coffee), but what are the gallery rules, as in size (pixels/bytes) and type of file? I did some searching but can't seem to find it... a very awake SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue May 23, 2006 2:31 pm

Hi Seerblue,

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. The format should be JPEG, the image size should be 1024x768 or less, and the filesize under 300kB. Does this sound OK?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby SeerBlue » Tue May 23, 2006 3:48 pm

sounds good to me,Terranuts had limits about like this at one time and the renders looked great. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Tue May 23, 2006 6:03 pm

Well, I personally don't think I'll be able to partake in this, I've had a sort of artist's-block going on. If I can get through that, I'll slip somethin in last minute. BTW, are we allowed to take a screenshot and do some image-enhancements?
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Tue May 23, 2006 6:52 pm

Hm.. And with that sad, my artistic creativity is quickly returning. I'm currently working on a new peice titled Crater Lake, a step up from my old peice, Mountain Lake. This may actually come out fairly well.

And I just noticed your mention of the winner picking the next theme. I personally like this idea! Has my vote.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby trollfiddler » Tue May 23, 2006 7:13 pm

In response to your question above, I have used TGE, and use TSE at the present time for my game. If you could add an exporter for TSE I'd be forever grateful :-)

TSE is the business for huge terrains, it has no restrictions on size except the space on your hard disk. The terrains are paged in automatically and LOD is handled nicely. I sometimes spend hours wandering around truly massive worlds and forget that I'm meant to be writing some code and not being a tourist. But you just *have* to see what's over that next hill :-)

TSE uses raw files to create chunk files and JPGs to create tqt files for textures, both via a conversion program that is called from the TSE console when you have an instance running.

I have no idea what the file formats are, so if you were thinking of integrating TSE as a viewer you would need to find out, or else call the built in conversion prog once you have started TSE.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby SeerBlue » Tue May 23, 2006 7:15 pm

Just posted mine (2 of the same terrain), and I thought I should explain what they are. The Terrain is not from L3DT, though it has been worked in L3DT, but also Wilbur, Global Mapper, and Leveller. The texture on the Terragen render is all L3DT though, I took the light map and used it as the base texture overlay after tinting it red and applying the grain filter in PS. The rest of the texturing is the same 8196 res tex(then downsampled, because of memory issues) that has been used 3 times, once after sharpening, once after tinting red, and once after tinting blue. Then the distribution was controlled in Terragen for each tex/srf layer. There aren't any Terragen srf's visible, I set all the colors to the most annoying flourescent colors I could just in case.
If it doesn't qualify, delete it, it was an experiment to see how to use L3DT'S tex to render in L3dt, and I am veryyyyy happy with the outcome anyway..SeerBlue
Ohh, it is Carn Dum, Angmar, in the Realm of the Witch King, Middle Earth. A still in work terrain for the ME-DEM Project..
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Thu May 25, 2006 2:54 am

Well, mine are in. Incase you're wondering, its supposed to look jagged and unnatural like that. I had someone criticize me on that, when its supposed to be that way in the first place. Its all made in L3DT, loaded into Torque, where I did the final bits. And that water shading you see, thats not done from L3DT, thats actually part of my own personal Atlas shader upgrade I made to do the same shading L3DT does, only realtime. Nifty huh? ;)
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Thu May 25, 2006 12:33 pm

KEWL,

I have desided to use Terragen for this compitition this month anyway, but I would rather use in game/engine shots and not other editors. For myself anyway. But I just don't have the time to get it tweaked in time now I have mission, not this month anyway.

So I have uploaded 3 digi painting made in Terragen for this Months compitition. Good Idea Aaron for this compitition dude.

Now I have a whole other set of problems to work on in TSE at least, so on to the next steps. Texture issues and so forth, but hay, ain't that what it all about? learning new chit?, yaya /drools.

Some really nice entries I see for this month, this is so awesome to be able to see/share stuff that you guys and us at ATOMIX are working on right now. Huge Cudo's Aaron.

DT :twisted:
Last edited by DeathTwister on Mon May 29, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Next

Return to Image competition