L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

June Image of the Month Competition

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:38 am

Hello,

I'll be closing the competition in about 8 hours time.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby SeerBlue » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:20 am

It does not look like I will get mine finished for this one, I have had a 6kx6k terragen orthographic render of a ME-DEM terrain running for nearly 20 hours and it is only half done. Well, for the next one I will do it at the beginning of the month instead of lollygagging around. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:23 am

Nothin for me this time round.. Just cant seem to get it off the ground. A true pity, I was goin for a remake of one of my favorite in-game terrains, the Cloakwood South Coast from Baldur's Gate.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:41 am

Closed, judgement pending.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Forboding Angel » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:51 pm

After close viewing of the submitted terrains.

I announce DeathTwister as the winner, with GalleriaDevShot2 (http://www.bundysoft.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pos=-131).

The things I liked most about this shot was the way that the water met the shore, and the strata look on the cliffs. The entire images is surreal and has a very prehistoric look to it.

Overall it's just damn pretty. :-)

Eternal Fame and Glory is yours DeathTwister. Use it wisely :-)
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:09 pm

Congratulations DeathTwister!

Congratulations also to Ch3rokee for some lovely entries!

Thank-you Forboding Angel!

Thank-you exclamation marks!

Now, to the IoTM competition for July. What theme would you care to nominate DT? If you’d like a few ideas to get you started, I have a few suggestions listed here.

Also, would you like to set any special rules? (e.g. renderers, post-processing, etc.)

Finally, do you want to judge the next competition or participate?

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Ch3rokee » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:05 pm

Yeah, Congratulations DeathTwister!, see you in July IOTM 8)
Ch3rokee
Contributing member

July Image of the Month rules

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Thank you guys,

Thanks Aaron for choosing me in the comp. Ch3rokee did some fine shots Though as well. /smiles.

Yawn ......just got up as we went south for supplies yesterday and it always wipes me out. Full day to get everything so we can hide and work during the next month, /winks.

Ok, I will not be entering next Month or maybe the month after that as I will be hella bizzy. So I will judge next month would be ok with me if Aaron is game? Aaron and I will judge the competition this month. I will be out of town allot the month after that so I won't have time to enter that one, but after that, watch out guys /winks.... I can lend a hand here and there where needed for the next 2 months. I do want to get started on the Texture Repository that month as well. totally a new kind of project for me, so it will probably go slow at first while I do a bit of catch up.

Ok now for the rules for this Months Competition.

volcanoes

and the Lands surrounding Volcano's. I have been playing with various ideas for volcano's for a bit off and on. I have seen a number of pretty lame to real cool volcano lands from the Old "Everquest" and dragons that ran around in the land to Some of the lands in "GuildWars" and the "World of Warcraft". Almost every fantasy game has at least one zone where nothing or very little grows. Probably because the engines at the time couldn't produce mesh like they can now and we have learned lots of tricks since the old days. So I thought it would be cool to get into volcanic environments a bit more.
I donated a volcanic environs pack as a resource here a while back, and in a the next few days I will update it as I got a few mixed up, and add a few more that maybe of some help to you in this competition and other projects as well.
Feel free to use them freely in any way. kudos's are always welcome though as a resource /winks. And please feel free to change them around how ever you please, and if you get some great variations, please share them back with us later.
Things Aaron and I will be looking for is:
1. collar & composition.
In art and in Photography collar/light is always part of the competition of a painting or a photo. A photographer may take 100-500 shots to get 1 or 2 worthy to enter in any competition. As he looks for the right lighting and the right shot where there is movement in a shot that can make your eye move around the canvass without making you look away from the main subject.
I am not sure how many understand that like I have a hard time learning all the math and programming skills that you guys are so very good at and I feel so not worthy most of the time as I learn the hard way. But in art, I have been at it a very long time, and I know others of you here have as well and know exactly what I mean. I can spend hours just trying to get the lighting and the camera just right. Funny to as the Terrain can go so much more quickly then the tweaking we do after the fact. /chuckles.......

2. YOU NEED 2 ENTER: You guys are all so totally awesome in so many ways, I feel so very honored to be able to set this months comp, and hope we have a gas this month doing this one. Please find the time to enter, it also makes Aaron happy, and we don't want him upset now do we /winksat Aaron...... So please enter as that is number 2, hahahahahahahaaaaa......

3. the Renderer.
Humm, ok like Aaron started no L3DT viewer, but anything else goes I think. Lets see what we got? Terragen, Bryce, 3d Studio max, Lightwave, Maya, World builder, Wilber, and so on, so have at it. What would be sweet if anyone is in Dev with a volcanic environment would be sweet to see it in a engine. which ever one you are using from TGE, TSE, Ogre, and so forth.

4. What are kudos.....
Volcanic Smoke, Dead trees, Lava flowing or still. Realistic as we can make it or render it. You get the idea. Imagination is the Key this Month. I bet the Me-Dem brothers have something like that, something from Mordor maybe?

Here is a kinda example I did last week in Bryce of a Volcano I made in L3DT and the texture, then brought the texture in as well and added the smoke. Simple but effective I thought. Takes allot to renderer so if you run Bryce, have lots of ram and CPU power. It rendered hella fast on the new 64 bit Win XP Pro I upgraded to. It's so fast my comp now is almost Physic.

OK if Aaron wants to add or subtract any of this please do so as maybe it is to ambitious for us working class, but it would be fun to see what you all come up with so lets have at it brothers, do me proud like I know you all will. I have seen some amazing things from you guys, and I know you can do it and blow our minds with awesome art. I will get a new Volcanic Pack up in the next day or 2 I promise and will post here when I do.

OK, let go have some fun and happy 4th of July and remember everyone that lives in the US, this is the day we need to say to ourselves that we do what this day really means, take back our country and get real people in office that really reflects who and what the people of this country really are. Ok enough bullchit /smiles.

DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Re: July Image of the Month rules

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi DT,

DeathTwister wrote: Thanks Aaron for choosing me in the comp.

'Twasn't me. Thank Forboding Angel. I just provided the bandwidth this month ;)

DeathTwister wrote:Ch3rokee did some fine shots Though as well. /smiles.

Hear, hear. Bravo Ch3rokee.

DeathTwister wrote:So I will judge next month would be ok with me if Aaron is game?

That sounds great!

DeathTwister wrote:Volcanoes

Ah, good choice.

If anyone needs some inspiration, check out Wikipedia.

This opens up lots of possibilities:
  • Mt. St. Helens.
  • Fuji.
  • Mount Doom.
  • Vesuvius.
  • Crate lake (OR).
  • Ice volcanoes on Europa.
  • Crazy radiosity.
  • Particle effects.
  • Smoke.
Yes indeed, I do like this idea.

DeathTwister wrote:2. YOU NEED 2 ENTER:

Very well put, DT. :lol:

Okie dokie, I've updated the competition page:

http://www.bundysoft.com/news/doku.php?id=l3dt:iotm

Congratulations again DT, and thanks for choosing such an interesting theme.

Best of luck everyone!

Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JavaJones » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm not sure if I'll be able to enter this month but I really like the theme so I'll try. I did want to point people over to Ashundar where we've got a great set of high resolution DEM data in Terragen .ter form for Mt. St. Helens:

http://www.ashundar.com/list.php?c=ter6

I may also be able to take terrain requests, particularly for areas in the US. Outside the US the data isn't nearly as good so it may not be worthwhile.

It would be super cool to see St. Helens with a nice, complex L3DT climate and done in a realtime engine. I doubt anything can handle the full 8193x8193 terrain in realtime, but that sure would be stunning. :D

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby SeerBlue » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:26 pm

okay, I am up for this one, will get it done at the beginning this time! SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Hello,

Might I recommend we all move across to the new thread for July?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Image competition