L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

July Image of the Month Competition

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi dudes,

Yes, Aaron is right were getting off topic. So any new entries? hehe Pushy ain't I? /chuckles. I'm just excited about seeing new art, and really excited since I have seen some of the entries you guys are working on that want to submit, WOW is all I can say. Looking forward to more entries boys.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:12 am

I still intend to enter, but right now I am in the middle of a writing adventure with a tutorial on Saga Gis for ME-DEM. 22 pages and counting. Fell free to prod me along in entering DT, so I don't forget. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:55 pm

I'm workin on it.. With the latest release of TSE, you can peice together multiple textures into one, so I can finally make use of mosiacs. So, expect a painfully high res texture. :)

I tried generating it the other day in TSE, but it crashed. I got some error about the memory not being able to be "read". I get that a lot anymore from programs.. I'll try again tonight while i sleep. And then to add in the particles and such. Thats where I plan to really flourish, brining the scene to life with extras. :)
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:07 am

Hello,

If anyone is struggling to find a good volcano heightfield, the following resources may be useful:
dEaThMaStEr wrote:I'm workin on it.. With the latest release of TSE, you can peice together multiple textures into one, so I can finally make use of mosiacs. So, expect a painfully high res texture.

Ooh, looking forward to seeing it. My humble entry used a 12k x 12k texture (4x res), and it brought L3DTVi2 to its knees (<1 fps).

dEaThMaStEr wrote:Thats where I plan to really flourish, brining the scene to life with extras.

Mmmm...sounds tasty.

SeerBlue wrote:Fell free to prod me along in entering...

Prod, prod. I was kind of hoping to see a Mt. Doom from ME-DEM this month.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby SeerBlue » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:30 pm

hmm, well I do have some pics I could build the terrain from, I would probably go with Tolkien's sketches, aaannnndd a Tower could be built in leveller....I will have to think a bit, 15 days or so left, so ifff I did give it a go it would be kinda rough, but perhaps a good start for a long term buildd,,,and my little Saga Gis tutorial has streched to 33 pages and is still growing. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:49 pm

Hay all,

Sorry haven't been on last few days but Wooo been hella bizzzy with the ATOMIX First Annual Picnic, and meetings that we had, Ouch, me brain is tired hahahahahahahahaha.... It was a very good party and bizz meeting though so was worth it. Will post some stuff on the atomizer in a few days with the picnic.

Hay how come no entries since I was here last? you all slacking I see ROTFL, come on come on get it together I want to drool on all those entries....... Yes yes Mount Doom, get it on Dem brothers...../smiles broadly at you all.
And what happened to the shot I saw as a teaser on a volcano going off dEaThMaStEr?, and some lava would be sweet I saw as well.
HAhahahahahaha wish I could enter this one ROTFL ROTFL...... naw this months for you guys so lets get it on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Monks? Seerblue? JavaJones? dEaThMaStEr? So come on guys anti up as times a waisting.... :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol: Get your :idea: out soon..........

OK was that enough prodding? /smiles.

Seerblue wrote:
hum, well I do have some pics I could build the terrain from, I would probably go with Tolkien's sketches, aaannnndd a Tower could be built in leveller....

Hall yes, when we see it????????

Quote:
I tried generating it the other day in TSE, but it crashed.

Yup Yup we crashing all over the place still.
:roll: :oops: they still working on it with the latest build of TSE. Which reminds me about something. Someone here is on the Atlas terrain project with GG. L3DT is all over the new version, WOOTs to Aaron for that, but is there a way to get Aaron a TSE licenses for him since he seems to becoming more and more the answer in TSE, or am I way off on that? Whoever it is please get in touch with Aaron and help him out? Or get GG and him together as he surly deserves it. I see the new TSE build has a viewer that is so close to what we need here in L3DT it was scary and Aaron should see the interface as it is all L3DT it looked like. Or was that Terragen that was used? I think now from how it looked. anyway I wanted to say something as you seem to becoming hand in hand with the ATLAS terrain editor for TSE. Or it seemed that way to me. I thought it was very COOL though. Anyone here that is working on Constructor? I sure would love to help Beta test it before it gets released as I pretty much am at a stand still since 3DWS was a bust, and untill the Big C as I like tocall it comes out and is released.

Aaron Wrote:
As for files, NTFS (file system for WinNT/2k/XP/Vista) can handle volumes up to 256TB and files up to 16TB.

I just talked this weekend with the lady that is bench marking the Vista System as she came to the BBQ we had, OMG it is goping to take 1 Gig of ram just to run the OS guys, OMG but wait till you see the interface, very very sweet and very artistic.

OK there is more to answetr to but I am trying to catch up over all so will end it here for now. Just remeber guys we get 3 pieces we can enter so the opnes that have one? enter more /smiles, you have 2 to go and the rest get em in please, I need to have a drool session...... ROTFL

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:19 pm

QUICK UPDATE

because I will be put of town around the first, you all have untill the 3rd to have entries in,
I will post the winner no later the the evening "here for me" on the 4th. I hope that is OK with all, I can probobly do it on the 3rd, but I wanted to be able to really look at the entires and talk about each artists entry when I do judge the comp. Buit I will not be back into town untill the morniong of the 3rd, I just can't get back in time. Traveling almost 2 states from my home and a few stops here and there so it will be a tight squeeze.

We are looking for a 7 building compound in the forest/ranch for our Company to all work in and have some privacy for security on projects in the near future. So I am also Property shopping for the right piece of land In Oregon. If anyone is in Oregon and knows of a place like that let me know please. Ok that was off topic and I am done, sorry Aaron, but seemed like a good place to slide it in /smiles.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi DT,

DeathTwister wrote:but is there a way to get Aaron a TSE licenses for him since he seems to becoming more and more the answer in TSE, or am I way off on that? Whoever it is please get in touch with Aaron and help him out? Or get GG and him together as he surly deserves it.

Thanks for your concern DT. I'll acquire a license shortly.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:31 pm

Woot, I was hoping ya would say that. Hate to see you missing all the fun Arg....../chuckles.....

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:42 pm

Hello,

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS A SUBTLE REMINDER THAT THERE IS LESS THAN ONE WEEK LEFT IN JULY.

Regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:15 pm

Here here,

I agree with Aaron please submit some entries guys. Maybe you all are trying to make way to big a map for the comp? I would suggest that you make a smaller version in a "save as"? and then make a smaller version just to make an entry, maybe a 10m version. I know some of you Yahoo's have some killer volcano's just to shy to share I am betting, so buck up buttercups and get some entries in. And if you guys are having trouble yes you can do what Aaron did and use the L3DTv if you don't have other apps to show in other then Vid game engines. It makes it no fun for the people that have entered if you guys don't play also. I know we are all bizzzy, but dang you guys are all great artists and should share some goodies with us??????

I have to go out of town this Thursday and wont be back until next Wednesday so you all have till I get back to get stuff in. I better see some art when I get back or I will go find ya all and paint your faces with all kinds of coloring, mainly red HAHAHAhahahahahaha rotfl rotfl....Just kidding.

REMEMBER, IT IS MORE SWEET TO WIN WHEN THERE ARE MANY ENTRIES, THEN JUST A FEW. Show em if you got em. And the rest that have entered already? please enter some more goodies /smiles, I love looking at art. Ok on to the next forum hoping all will go well here.

HAHahaha wish I could enter ROTFL, but I am da judge hahahahahaha.

DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:05 am

Hello again,

Peggy Lee wrote:
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

If anyone is still struggling for a good volcano terrain map for the image of the month competition (which I believe closes on the 3rd), then I have a little surprise for you:
  • Download the latest dev-build (2.4.0.21).
  • Make new design/inflate project.
  • Open the design map pencil tool, and add a 'file overlay' special terrain type with the 'MtStHelens' setting.
  • Generate the heightfield.
  • Tell me what you think and/or SUBMIT A SCREENSHOT FOR THE IoTM COMPETITION.

Anyway, I must admit I'm a little surprised the community have contributed so few images this month (kudos to Ch3rokee). Are we likely to receive any more next month, or should we drop the concept? It's not really a competition when there's only one entry.

Toodles,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Q-dad » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:17 am

Please consider that for most people living on the northern hemisphere, it's now the time of summer vacation... (not that I'd pretend to be one of the contributors, but maybe some of the ordinaries are...)
TXP (Terrain Xpansion Pack) for DF2: txp.df2.org

Q-dad
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:38 am

Hi Q-dad,

Thanks for the reminder. Further cajoling will be restricted to my fellow southern-hemispherites until the end of August.

So, if you live in New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, or South Africa, please consider yourself cajoled. Cajoling of other nations of the southern hemisphere will follow if necessary.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:18 pm

If it makes ya feel better, mines almost ready. :) I'm just having an issue with the skybox now.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to Image competition