L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

July Image of the Month Competition

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Postby Rofar » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:52 pm

I do like the IOTM contest but to be honest, I just don't have enough time to devote to putting together entries for it. I do like to see others entries and hope it can continue.
Rofar
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:18 am

Well, mines in finally. :D Hope ya like it
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:51 am

dEaThMaStEr wrote:Well, mines in finally. :D Hope ya like it

Outsdanding dEaThMaStEr. The particle, smoke and flame effects are great, and I like the overall gloomy feel of the texture. Was this using DeathTwister's climate, or did you make your own?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:35 am

DeathTwister's, but slightly modified in a few areas. I was aimin to make my own originally, but I just didn't have the time to really work it all out.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:42 pm

Yawn and good morning here in foggy ca where I am atm.

Finally the heat is more bearable with the huge heat wave that hit first the western part of the US, and now hitting the east coast. What was that by the way? a huge solar flare or just us getting closer to the sun with the new rotation we now have since the Tsumai we had 2 years ago when it caused a 3 % shift in our rotation, which I new when it happened but the powers that be are finally admitting to around the world in the last few weeks.

OK on to what this forum is about. First of dEaThMaStEr thanks so much for your entry, it is awesome bro and exactly what I had in mind.

Rofar said:
I do like the IOTM contest but to be honest, I just don't have enough time to devote to putting together entries for it.

Hay bro all it takes is about 2-3 hours of playing and having fun. You can't spare the time to make a quickly? for your brothers here? it sure would be appreciated a bunch from all of us you know. Just make a small quick map, and since Aaron has new build use that as a test like he asked and we get to birds for one stone. That goes for all that have not entered my brothers, (wish we had a few sisters here as well) and I intend to do just exactly he asked of us, even with my busy scedual I have right now. IN Baseball that is called Batter up dudes.

Aaron Wrote:
Anyway, I must admit I'm a little surprised the community have contributed so few images this month (kudos to Ch3rokee). Are we likely to receive any more next month, or should we drop the concept? It's not really a competition when there's only one entry.

/Chuckles, actually I am as well since I am, sure there are more here with big egos besides me ROTFL ROTFL.......no seriously guys what is up? This is a very good way to share and help each other with our craft and while we share code ideas I think the art part is an important as the tech side of all this. Ifen ya having trouble then ask for artistic help. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we are all here to help those that need advice. One thing I have noticed is people love to give their opinion on things.

I would really hate to see the image of the month go belly up with all the incredible artists and crafts people we have on this site so come on guys step up to the plate and lets share some of the stuff we have been doing.

Today id Aug 1st, you have 2 more days to get shit together, take 2-3 hours of your party time and get a small map out with your ideas and try out Aarons new build and help the dude out, /smiles many times, I know I am and will post what I make on this forum, not a entry and I will time myself as well ROTFL and post that. No I wont time you to my time lines I am kinda an artist dynamo and don't expect people to create like me, in fact I have only met a few that could keep up, but you guys slay me in every other way and most the times I feel so not worthy of you guys. But here I am kinda an Oracle in some way so let me and others help each other shine with our craft and all of us together are greater then just ourselves. don't ya think?

Not sure if that helps but lets make some art guys you have 2 more days before I judge all your wonderful pictures so get at it ok???
OH ya just because you entered 1 picture does not mean you can't enter more to make more for me to choose from, /wink wink/nod nod.

I will post pics and so on for the faerie festival later in a day or 2, OMG ya got to see all the beautiful faerie I got hugs and kisses from, yummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

From the mind of DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:55 pm

Hi DT,

Welcome back.

DeathTwister wrote:What was that by the way? a huge solar flare or just us getting closer to the sun with the new rotation we now have since the Tsunami we had 2 years ago when it caused a 3 % shift in our rotation, which I new when it happened but the powers that be are finally admitting to around the world in the last few weeks.

I probably shouldn't rise to the bait, but here goes:

Earthquakes and tsunamis can’t change our orbit. They change neither the total mass nor the linear velocity of the planet, thus by Kepler's laws the orbit does not change (~2nd year undergraduate physics). They do, however, change the mass distribution, hence the moment of inertia, and so can change the length of the day. In the case of the 2004 tsunami, the day got longer by about 1 part in 33 billion. Tidal forces from the moon have a greater effect (~1 part in 6 billion, per year).

Anyway, it wasn't a solar flare either. If a solar flare ever dumped that much thermal energy in the lower troposphere (where you and I live), everyone on the surface would have been killed by the ionising radiation. Solar flares are nasty that way.

I believe, in this case, the meteorologists claim you were hit by an unusual weather pattern. [Hey, did someone mention global warming?]

Anyway, that's the end of that off-topic rant.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:34 pm

Heh.. That was kinda cool, seein Aaron break out the intellectual big-guns and tear it up in his explanation there. ;)

But ya, I think we should keep the IOTM goin, even if we get no entries at ALL next month. Honestly, what do we have to lose? It takes little effort to announce, then you just sit and wait. And L3DT is always on the rise in popularity so more people are bound to show up.

Hopefully I finally win this month. :) I gotta think up a theme for next month, just incase.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:22 pm

Here here I agree lets keep it going, and it will build on itself eventually. I believe in us artists alot.

Aaron Wrote:
I probably shouldn't rise to the bait, but here goes:

Earthquakes and tsunamis can’t change our orbit. They change neither the total mass nor the linear velocity of the planet, thus by Kepler's laws the orbit does not change (~2nd year undergraduate physics). They do, however, change the mass distribution, hence the moment of inertia, and so can change the length of the day. In the case of the 2004 tsunami, the day got longer by about 1 part in 33 billion. Tidal forces from the moon have a greater effect (~1 part in 6 billion, per year).

Anyway, it wasn't a solar flare either. If a solar flare ever dumped that much thermal energy in the lower troposphere (where you and I live), everyone on the surface would have been killed by the ionising radiation. Solar flares are nasty that way.

I believe, in this case, the meteorologists claim you were hit by an unusual weather pattern. [Hey, did someone mention global warming?]

Yup your probobly right bout that, just seems hinky is all /smiiles
DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:07 am

hey all, I intended to enter, and got a pretty basic mt doom ter going, but Carol (the other adult half of our family) returned from one of the other- wordly places people get sent to by the military, so OTHER things came up, which really needed to get done :P . So lets keep it going, the contest I mean, and next time hopefully I can enter. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Enter it unfinished? Sure would love to see Mount Doom. Maybe have your lady sit on lap and have a volcano explosion??????? ROTFL just a thought bro.....hahahahahaha
DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:29 pm

About 24 hours to go guys so lets anti up dudes /smiles

KK I am off and out of town for the day, I better see some more pictures when I get back ROTFL hahahahahahahaa if ya can't ya can't we will keep it going anyway.........sure would be nice to see more entries though brothers.

DT :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Image of the month Winner

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:53 pm

Good day to all my brothers and Sisters if there are any out there,

Well it is time to be a Judge this month for me, and so now I have to make my decision. Drum roll please..........................................

The winner goes to dEaThMaStEr for his painting he did called:

Hell's Fountain

This is Hell's Fountain, a wickedly sharp and jagged volcano, perpetually erupting, spilling lava down its side to forever feed the Lake of Fire. Firey winds dance across the lake as geysers of flame erupt from the half-molten ground.
Made with a 16x texture, rendered in the Torque Shader Engine.

Now that was exactly what I was hoping to draw out of all of you artists. WOW and I am very impressed as I can barely walk in TSE, and he is running all over the place /chuckles. I was very impressed not just for the artist concept and execution, but also because TSE is very buggy with updates 3.5 and for dEaThMaStEr to be able to do this makes me feel (not worthy) as a video game builder and I have lots to learn myself. His use of shaders and special effects are great and as I said before was what I was hoping to see in the entries. Well done my man, WTG and congratulation for winning this months competition.

Aaron you did a wonderful job as well with your entry:
Southwest Crater Lake
A quick render in L3DTVi2 of Wizard Island and surrounds,
in the Crater Lake National Park, Oregon, US.

His map was excellent, composition of his shot from above was superb, his sky and atmosphere was well blended with the scene. I wish that our viewer was better and had more power to showcase the terrains, but he did a wonderful job. Besides frankly so far as I have scene the textures in the L3DT viewer are better there, then when we take them out into other programs, except for the actual engines themselves like dEaThMaStEr textures he used in TSE. Nice work Aaron, ju did guud bruttaz.......

Volcano11
Here is my first entry to IOTM comp.
Terrain made with L3DT Arch Dam and Lava models made with Hexagon.
The rest is Carrara 5 Pro

Ch3rokee WOW you did great brother, you also worked real hard on what I was trying to get people to play with and you did very good. I had a hard time trying to decide on the winner between you and dEaThMaStEr. He won out just slightly. One of the things I was most impressed with your image was how you used Carrara 5. I have never had the pleasure of playing with that particular software package and was very impressed on what you came up with, both with special effects and the Dam you had in front of the volcano blowing chunks into space. Well done my good elf, keep up your entries, you will win soon for sure brother.

You all deserve to win, but I had to choose one so there it is /smiles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: .

Ok all I guess my job is done for this Month, whew what a month it was......Please all lets all enter next month. I was going to abstain next month since I am working beyond what I can do anyway, but I really want to see this go so I will find the time to enter something as well, so let us all anti up this next month guys? and share some of the wonderful stuff coming out of L3DT. I know it would make Aaron a happy camper and it lets us have an avenue to showcase our craft more, so don't be shy and get that ego mojo working this next Month.

Ok the ball goes to dEaThMaStEr and he gets to choose next Months then and gets to be Judge, hahahaha aren't you lucky hahaha, naw I had a gas being Judge it is a good thing, kinda like Critiqueing paintings in college when I went way back when.

OK all have fun and lets go make terrains dudes....... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Well, I don't have a theme yet, but I should soon. However I was wondering if I could maybe opt of out being a judge and get to participate again. August will be my last month to take part in for a while because I'm leaving for the Navy in the middle of Sept. So I'd like to get one last run at it. :)
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Ch3rokee » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:13 pm

Congratulations dEaThMaStEr, you did well in reading the mind of DeathTwister :wink: . See you all in this month comp.

Thank you for your words DeathTwister, Carrara is a really good software. Next time I will use real particles 8)
Ch3rokee
Contributing member

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:16 pm

Well, I've decided on a theme. This month's competition will be! *drum roll*!

Mountains!

As said before, I plan to take part in this instead of judging. However if I can, I'd like to lay some possible judgement guidelines. Basically, the bigger the better. IF you make a full, feature-packed, vast terrain, that'd be very favorable. Also, dynamics in the texture. More diversity in your land types, such as snow caps, rocky cliffs, grassy bottoms, etc. is also good. And bonus points for special features such as lakes, snow/rain, etc. Thanks!
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to Image competition