L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Image of the Month Competition: September

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Image of the Month Competition: September

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:25 am

Hello all,

By the will of the people, triumph in the Image of the Month Competition for August has been awarded to DeathTwister (A.K.A. Maylock), for his image Icelandia Mountain Range. In keeping with our age-old traditions, DeathTwister has chosen the theme for the following month, namely:

Your favourite terrain

'Easy!', you say. Ahh, but there's a catch: DeathTwister also specified in the rules for this month that entries be rendered in L3DTVi2. Ouch! Without shaders, splatting or procedural detail, entrants will have to focus very carefully on making interesting terrain, detailed textures, dramatic lighting, and quality skyboxes.

To make things even more interesting, I propose that neither the heightfield nor the texture need be generated by L3DT this time. Use whatever you want - but be sure to render the final image in L3DTVi2.

The competition will close on midnight of October the 1st (GMT).

Best of luck,
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:01 pm

Yawn,

Hay all. Wow am I swamped big time. Got so much to do this month, I doubt I will have time to enter anything :cry:

After all my computer stuff went blewy, Te He I have double time to straiten everything out and get back on track. Oh I lost my C: drive on the internet comp, (long story there, but bad new ram blew it) and the back up of C drive didn't work when I put a new bigger C: drive in, but all our working data was on another hard drive so that was a blessing. So in short I doubt I have the time to enter anything. But I have all my favorates on the site anyway so no Biggie there. Anyway have fun guys and I will help judge at the end of the month and chime in from time to time, but Woooooo long month ahead of me.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Q-dad » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi, I'll try to participate this month. Mind you, I've never made a terrain before, so don't expect too much...

Btw, are we allowed to supply "fly-through" videos of the terrains as well...? A single image seldom shows off a terrain properly, IMO..., or maybe that's part of the competition, i.e. finding the best spot to aim the camera from...?
TXP (Terrain Xpansion Pack) for DF2: txp.df2.org

Q-dad
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:57 pm

Unfortunately, I can't make it this month, nor next, nor the month after. I MIGHT be able to do December, we'll have to see. But in a lil over a week, I'm shipping off to Basic Training for the US Navy, so thats where i'll be for the next 2 months. After which, I'm not positive on how my time'll be spend, we'll have to wait and see.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Hi dEaThMaStEr,

I wish you the best of luck and safekeeping during your training, and I'm sure we all look forward to your return. Take care.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:39 pm

Hay guys,

Whats up???????? I thought I picked a subject everyone could enter easy? all you had to do was upload your favorite Pic from the view to submit??? I have been real busy like the rest was the reason I picked that subject, sooooo what up dudes??????

Since I won last month and I been so busy I haven't entered this months, but we all have stuff on our hard drives to enter, so dust something off and post it for the competition. Besides it keeps Aaron's Juices flowing and creating new goodies and fixing old goodies and we don't want him getting bummed out do we? he may not work as hard for us,,,,bummer :wink: :wink: HAhahahahahaha. So lets keep him a happy camper now and enter anything, that shows a tast of your craft is all, not a biggy. No reason to be shy now boys, no girls are watching, hahaha, unless one snuck in ROTFL....besides it is good for the company image to share stuff, or get an individual a bit of exposure.

If all goes well my http://www.theatomizer.com will be back on line by the end of today and I will show ya some examples maybe. Time to play boys...

:idea: :idea: :idea: Also I will post 55 NEW Klamath area textures I have made using Bricks'N Tiles with bumps for them for L3DT for those that want to enter something new. They seem to work real good so far as I can see so far.

All the source photo's will go into the texture repository soon, just trying to get our chit strait before I get totally into new ones. So will post all those I hope by tomorrow if I am back online. That site is where I keep my graphic data base, erg :cry:

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:57 pm

Hay all,

I see that there are entries now, Woo Hooo grats for entering Dude and looking good I might add.

I am not entering this month since I am hella busy, and I won last month. But I am uploading now a .zip file for you guys of 50 256x256 textures with L3DT bumps for your fun. I made them in Bricks" N Tiles from some raw files I will be uploading to the texture site here in the next day or 2. Theatomizer is still having some data base trouble so here is a temp directory until we get all our data bases back up and running right. zip will be uploaded by 9am PST or there abouts for upload as I am uploading it as I post this. Let me know if there is any problems with the zip.

INCTexture.zip upload: http://www.theatomizer.com/postedImages/INCTextures.zip

I made some small version ones for you guys to play with. All the textures are from the Klamath Area here in Northern Calif. and here is a quick show of some of them in L3DT. Please note I just threw them into the mix, and should have probably spent more time in getting them to blesh right, but hay it was a quickly /winks.......

I hope this helps get some juices going for the artists that are dragging there feet, hahahaha........maybe help ya get some :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: maybe?

I hope this helps you guys, so there can be more entries.

DT:twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Nyth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:03 am

I may try to enter, assuming my new video card arrives in time :)
Nyth

Postby Aaron » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:26 am

Hello,

As the closing date falls on a weekend again, I'll extend the comp until around 1AM Monday GMT (conveniently, that's morning tea time on Monday here in Melbourne.) Judging will again be by popular vote, which will run from Monday through to ~1AM Thursday GMT (three full days).

I shan’t be entering this month, as tonight I'm stuck with QA and documentation, and from tomorrow until Monday I will be entirely computer-free (off to the country again). If anyone wants to hack the site over the weekend, please make sure it's amusing, or at the very least features images of kittens.

Best of luck to those who have entered this month, and also to those who yet intend to do so.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:04 pm

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL,

You deserve to have a walk about in the woods Aaron, or country which ever you have around you. I live in Deep Wilderness, called the Great Northwest, so understand about walkabouts, only I do it on my mountain bike since I have a bad back/ankles and am disabled.
I can go 30 miles on a bike where if I walked I would maybe only get 1-2 miles or 10 miles if I was healthy, so my biking allows me to go places hardly anyone has ever been before for a very long time at least.
I should post some textures of Sequoya's and redwoods for mapping trees on the WTR (World Texture Repository) maybe after it opens. Good luck guys to all that have entered and those that will enter, I still will vote, hahahahahahaha.....Hope that zip of textures helps some people as well.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Image competition