L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Image of the month competition: February

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Image of the month competition: February

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

There's now a week and a half left in the competition. Any takers?

The theme, by the way, is "tropical beaches".

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:07 am

I sure hope someone else enters some entries guys????? I do not want to win by default, and you guys are all so good, I dunna understand why you not play???? /smiles..

Hay Aaron can I re-upload my entries now that I am getting a better handle on textures in TG2? I can redo the Island now and I think do a much better job at mapping. I thought it sucked before but had wanted to help support the image of the month so wanted to get a entry in and upload it before it was really done terrain/texture wise, but if I have a bit more time I sure would like to kinda update the mapping. If not that is ok as well. SearBlue I bet has killer stuff. Thanks for the help to both SearBlue and Oshyan, that helped a ton. /smiles...

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Forboding Angel » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Well I'm having a harrowing repeat of the bumpmapping disaster. Otherwise I would have had something by now.

I ended up having to reformat (everything is on my other drive so no biggie).

Got the latest beta, started working on a new climate by copying my greenworld (it's generally the basis I use for everything now) climate.

It's really frustrating. The weightings aren't working, the totals aren't working. I'm screwed. :(
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi Forboding,

I'll check this out tonight. I didn't think I've changed the bump-mapping/texturing behaviour since our last saga, but if it's not working then it's not working, and I'll have to find out why. I think I still have a copy of your greenworld climate from the last SNAFU, so I'll test with that.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi Forboding,

This is what I get when I use your greenworld climate and change the bump map totals for cliffs:

Total = 0

Total = 0.5

Total = 1.0

Total = 1.5

That looks correct to me, but I may be testing the wrong thing. Could you please explain exactly what's going wrong for you?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Forboding Angel » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Dude, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The climate I was testing has all of 2 land types. The map is basically flat, with spires that come out of the ground. For some reason it won't put normals on the flatland.

As a test I imported my greenwold climate again, and once again I got no normals on flatland.

Imma just go home on lunch, render a supersmall 2x2, upload the pic and pm you a copy of all my climates (they have changed a bit).

seems like every time I make a climate from scratch, the bumpmapping stops working. Most of the time I'm afraid to do anything except copy one of my climates and change the textures (which is great for real world stuff, but If I wanna do something a little more crazy I need to be able to do it from scratch).
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby Forboding Angel » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:52 pm

nm couldn'r do it at lunch. I'll get it to ya somewhat soonly.
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby Rofar » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:31 pm

I really wanted to try to get an entry in this time but it's not looking very good at this point. When trying to decide what I wanted to render in, I decided it was time to resurrect my WIP engine/renderer. Well, it's been on the shelf awhile now and I have spent a few days trying to bring it back to life and get it all working. A lot has changed since I last had the code working (DX SDK version, IDE - VS 2005, etc). I have the code working fine but I am having trouble getting my terrain system working like I want. So unless I make some real progress fast, I doubt I will make it this time around. I'm just too tired to keep working on it right now :)

I am determined to have an entry next month though.
Rofar
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:44 am

With about 18 hours left to go, I'd say DT might just have the lead this time.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Rofar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:37 pm

I haven't given up yet....still might get an entry submitted. However, I don't think I will produce anything that has much of a chance of competing with DT :)

Managed to submit some entries. Not exactly what I set out to do but that gives me something to work towards for next month. I rendered these in the Gaia terrain engine which is also what my WIP game engine is based on. I need to do some more work to resurrect mine. I also wanted to use the texturing from L3DT but I didn't have time to make that work in Gaia so maybe next month I will have my engine in better shape and can use the texturing from L3DT.
Rofar
Luminary

Return to Image competition