L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

How to add Detail map to landscape?

Correspondence concerning plugins and scripts; development, use, bugs and ideas.

How to add Detail map to landscape?

Postby ShadowIce » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Aaron :) How would I add a detail map to the mesh or to the heightmap that gets exported?
ShadowIce
Luminary

Re: How to add Detail map to landscape?

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi ShadowIce,

L3DT doesn't currently support detail maps in mesh exports. I'll add this to the to-do list.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby ShadowIce » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:35 am

Hi Aaron, sorry to Necropost but I'm back & bought a new license and would like to know if you've ever taken care of THIS and the ability to combine multiple heightmaps together smoothly?

Thank You so much!
ShadowIce
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi ShadowIce,

Thankyou for your continued support.

Unfortunately, no, I have not yet added a detail map to the mesh exports. What mesh format do you intend to use? Do you want a single detail map for all the land types, or does your target renderer support splatted detail maps (if so, how many)?

As for the 'combining multiple heightmaps smoothly'; yes, I think that's implemented.

Firstly, there's the old 'atMergeMaps' plugin, which smooths the joins between two or more heightmaps:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php? ... heightmaps

However, I seem to recall you wanted the edges of your heightmaps smoothed to a particular value before joining. This was implemented in the atEdgeLeveller plugin:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php? ... geleveller

Please let me know if you had something different in mind.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby ShadowIce » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Aaron wrote:Hi ShadowIce,

Thankyou for your continued support.

Unfortunately, no, I have not yet added a detail map to the mesh exports. What mesh format do you intend to use? Do you want a single detail map for all the land types, or does your target renderer support splatted detail maps (if so, how many)?

As for the 'combining multiple heightmaps smoothly'; yes, I think that's implemented.

Firstly, there's the old 'atMergeMaps' plugin, which smooths the joins between two or more heightmaps:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php? ... heightmaps

However, I seem to recall you wanted the edges of your heightmaps smoothed to a particular value before joining. This was implemented in the atEdgeLeveller plugin:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php? ... geleveller

Please let me know if you had something different in mind.

Best regards,
Aaron.

I'm using OBJ. I'm using Babylon.js to load the mesh. As for renderer, I'd say both.
ShadowIce
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am

Hi ShadowIce,

I'm sorry for the delay. I had a look into this, and it seems that the OBJ/MTL file format doesn't support detail maps, so detail maps are a no-go unless you choose another mesh format, or manually/otherwise find a way to load the detail maps into your rendering engine.

Edited to add: I've had a quick look at babylon.js (looks nice). I can't seem to find any reference to detail maps, but it does support custom shaders, so I guess that is the recommended method for adding detail.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby ShadowIce » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 am

Hi Aaron! :) Thank you for the reply! It's GREAT to be back! How about three.js ? http://threejs.org/ ? I would like to load a detail map in three.js.

Thank you! <3

~ShadowIce
ShadowIce
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:25 am

Hi ShadowIce,

Nice find. Three.js looks quite powerful. It supports custom shaders, so that's probably how you would apply a detail map. You may also be able to apply the detail map as part of the material, without having to write custom shaders (not sure though).

As far as I can tell, three.js has OBJ/MTL file loaders, but since these formats don't support detail maps, you'd have to write some custom code to load and apply the detail map yourself. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I'm not quite sure how (WebGL is not my bag).

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Plugins and scripts