L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

G16 for Unreal

Correspondence concerning plugins and scripts; development, use, bugs and ideas.

G16 for Unreal

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:56 am

Hi Everyone,

I've added support for importing and exporting the 'G16' 16-bit greyscale bitmap format used by the Unreal engine (see here). The updated bitmap plugin will be included in the next release, but you can download it separately now from here. To update the plugin, simply extract it from the zip archive and copy it over the existing file at:

Code: Select all
c:\Program Files\Bundysoft\L3DT [version]\Extensions\L3DTio_BigBitmap.zeo

Please let me know if you find any problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

The updated plugin has been included with the latest developmental build of L3DT 2.8 (build 7; dated 10th of Jan). The new installer is on the downloads pages now, and is available in both Standard and Professional flavours.

This update also fixes a slight problem with the RGB bitmap exports, which were written with an invalid colour table size that caused errors in some viewers.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 am

Hi Everyone,

I've modified the G16 plugin to write files with '.G16.bmp' file extensions. This is because the Unreal world editor expects G16 files to have '.bmp' file extensions.

[Please note that G16 files are not valid bitmaps, so image editing and viewing programs will either not open the files, or else display them incorrectly. Thus, I added the '.G16' part of the file extension to distinguish these files from ordinary (valid) bitmap images.]

The updated bitmap plugin will be included in the next release, but you can download it now from here. To update the plugin, simply extract it from the zip archive and copy it over the existing file at:

Code: Select all
c:\Program Files\Bundysoft\L3DT [version]\Extensions\L3DTio_BigBitmap.zeo

To use the updated G16 exporter, select the 'G16-BMP (Unreal)' option in the export wizard, like so:

Please let me know if you find any problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby hikmayan13 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:59 am

Well,it works but there is a need for additional tweaking...
If you think you 've seen the best of anything in creation...think again!.Know that the creator is Might.
hikmayan13

Postby EagleEye » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 pm

I have changed to UDK for Unreal 3... Trying to use this plugin, but the option for the G-16 as you show in your image there, isn't showing for me.

The plugin is in the extensions folder, and is listed in the extensions list... trying to load it gives me an error saying it's already loaded.

Using version 2.7, since that was the last one I could use for Pro (my update license ran out 4 days after it was released).

Any tips?
EagleEye

Postby Aaron » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:40 am

Hi EagleEye,

Did you download the plugin and copy it over the old version in the extensions folder?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby EagleEye » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:23 am

aaron wrote:Hi EagleEye,

Did you download the plugin and copy it over the old version in the extensions folder?

Best regards,
Aaron.

Of course. :-p

Tried multiple times.

It's even showing up in the extensions list...
EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:59 am

i just reinstalled everything, and found that it uses the wrong version of some sort of script engine... and because I can't use any version past 2.7, I can't use the proper scripting engine.
EagleEye

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:47 am

Hi EagleEye,

The version of the L3DTio_BitBitmap plugin that includes the G16 support was compiled using the most recent version of the plugin API that was available at the time, which was API v2.7.2. L3DT release 2.7 is a little bit older than the G16 plugin, and only supports up to API v2.7.1.

However, since the plugin doesn't reply upon any of the features of the newer API version, it was safe to re-compile the plugin using the older API v2.7.1. You may download the plugin zip archive from here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/plugins/bin/L3DTio_BigBitmap-bin-zeolite-v2.7.1.zip

I've tested this against a fresh installation of L3DT v2.7, and it worked just fine. As before, please extract the plugin from the archive and copy it over the existing one. You will then need to open the extension manager to re-enable the L3DTiio_BigBitmap plugin, as L3DT will have disabled it after it failed to load last time.

Please let me know if there are any further problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby EagleEye » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:24 am

aaron wrote:Hi EagleEye,

The version of the L3DTio_BitBitmap plugin that includes the G16 support was compiled using the most recent version of the plugin API that was available at the time, which was API v2.7.2. L3DT release 2.7 is a little bit older than the G16 plugin, and only supports up to API v2.7.1.

However, since the plugin doesn't reply upon any of the features of the newer API version, it was safe to re-compile the plugin using the older API v2.7.1. You may download the plugin zip archive from here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/plugins/bin/L3DTio_BigBitmap-bin-zeolite-v2.7.1.zip

I've tested this against a fresh installation of L3DT v2.7, and it worked just fine. As before, please extract the plugin from the archive and copy it over the existing one. You will then need to open the extension manager to re-enable the L3DTiio_BigBitmap plugin, as L3DT will have disabled it after it failed to load last time.

Please let me know if there are any further problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.

I appreciate the effort...

I was merely experimenting with UDK and was trying to see how well L3DT integrates with it.

I will try the new plugin... but it seems that UDK is not suitable for my needs, so I'm moving to BigWorldTech (yeah, actually gonna start paying a yearly license fee to develop my game...)
EagleEye

Postby hikmayan13 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Aaron,
I decided to try out the plug-in....works fine however,the high elevation issue is still a challenge for me....no matter how low or nearly flat I try to edit using the "height field tools".I am still experimenting to achieve a good reasonable looking terrain using L3DT Pro. So far,using the new plug in:

Please,anyone feel free to dive in for suggestions to get excellent looking terrain exported to Unreal Engine....that's my goal...if L3DT can work so well with "Torque",why not "Unreal Engine"?.
If you think you 've seen the best of anything in creation...think again!.Know that the creator is Might.
hikmayan13

Postby hikmayan13 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Aaron
I was expecting comments from you or something. We need a tool within the(already working) plug-in that will control the or create an average "cliffs","mountain",during export process. That will be a serious gift to all "Unreal Engine" users out there like myself. 8)
hikmayan13

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi hikmayan13,

I don't know how Unreal reads the scaling of the height values in the G16 files (if it does at all). It's not a documented format as far as I know.

By comparison, the TER format for Torque is documented, and that's why L3DT supports it.

Regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby hikmayan13 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Aaron,
Thanks for the reply. I am sure you can request documentation to integrate L3DT with Unreal.As much documentation available for "Unreal Engine" out there,assistance to improve a working plug-in for their users?;I think Unreal team will be more than happy...my opinion of course but it's my wish, plus it's worth a try putting in a custom documentation request as a developer. 8)
hikmayan13

Postby hikmayan13 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:52 am

Aaron,
I have been playing around with your recently posted "G16" exporter.
There is a way to get a good end results in UDK. I will soon post some screens and or tutorial. Just wanna let you and others know... exporting is promising. 8)
hikmayan13

Next

Return to Plugins and scripts