L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Sapphire 3D rendering plugin

Correspondence concerning plugins and scripts; development, use, bugs and ideas.

Sapphire 3D rendering plugin

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:33 am

Hi Everyone,

I've uploaded my first attempt at a 3D rendering plugin for L3DT, 'Sapphire'. It's still a little rough, so please don't bother with bug reports or feature requests just yet.

By the way, are there any MSVC-equipped C++ programmers, familiar with bare OpenGL and preferably ROAM tessellation algorithms, who are interested in collaborating on this? If so, please let me know.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Edit: I just fixed the troublesome bug in the ROAM algorithm, so I don't really need help with that any more. Nonetheless, I'm still happy to collaborate. I think this is now sufficiently OK to be included with the L3DT installer, so it's going into the next release.

Edit #2: I've uploaded an update that works better with large maps (8192x8192 heightfields). Now for the mosaics...
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby byteasc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:21 am

Sapphire plugin looks at a hardcoded path for Textures...

CL3DTio_FIApp::LoadMapFile error
- File 'D:\Bundysoft\Releases\L3DT 2.5\Common\L3DTVi2\skybox\posz.jpg' not found

CExtDLL::LoadMapFile error
- call to DLL function 'LoadMapFile' failed

CMapGroup::LoadMapFile2 error
- error loading file

CsSkybox::LoadTextures error:
- cannot load texture
byteasc

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:44 am

Hi byteasc,

Whoops, sorry. Update uploaded.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:54 am

Hi All,

I forgot to mention above; Sapphire is now included in L3DT Pro as of v2.5 RC2, and there's a handy - albeit ugly - '3D' button on the toolbar that launches it. Bug reports welcome!

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby byteasc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:56 am

Yep, JUST grabbed RC2.1 and noticed it was included and worked fine :)

Also just got l3dt_atlas plugin compiled for TGEA so fooling with it :p
byteasc

Postby Aaron » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:35 am

Hi All,

I've got the start of a 3D editor going in the rendering plugin. Here are some piccies:

Firstly, the unmodified terrain:

I've then activated the raise/lower tool. The blue sphere indicates the position and radius of the raise/lower tool (it follows the mouse). The brush size is changed with the scroll-wheel:

To raise/lower terrain, left-click and drag up or down:

Using the same map, I put in another mountain range (in left/middle of background):

I've a little more polishing to do, but it should be ready for general testing/use within a week or so.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Q-dad » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Looks great! Thank you, Aaron! :D
TXP (Terrain Xpansion Pack) for DF2: txp.df2.org

Q-dad
Luminary

Postby Rummy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:44 am

So it begins :D
Rummy
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:00 am

Hi All,

I've uploaded L3DT Professional 2.5 RC5 to the downloads page, which contains the updated Sapphire plugin with the heightfield editor. The controls are listed in this PDF.

Feedback welcome!

PS: One problem I know already is that the tool position does not exactly match the mouse cursor position. This is because I'm using a quick hack to convert from viewport to world coordinates. I'll fix this up in the next update, probably using the gluUnProject function.

Edit: gluUnProject has indeed fixed the mouse cursor positionioning problem. The fix will be included in the next update.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby n00854180t » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:01 am

Hey aaron,

I recently bought L3DT in order to use it for TGEA for a game a friend and I are making (outside of my regular work which I use Torque in as well, and wanted to show my co-workers the program some). Are you still interested in having people collaborate on the Sapphire renderer? I'm doing some stuff with a modified ROAM algorithm myself. If I can get what I have working in Sapphire I would be willing to hand it over as well (spherical ROAM).

Also I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share how you set up the editing?
n00854180t

Do you have a time frame for Image Drape in Saphire?

Postby Martinloki » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:50 am

Last time I looked at L3TD you didn't have heightmap editing in saphire. It's a great addition. Now that it exists, I am considering buying the pro version.

I saw image drape on your to do list for saphire. Do you have any idea when/if that will happen? (soon or far in the future?) It is one of the features that I would find really usefull.
Martinloki

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Martinloki,

I saw image drape on your to do list for saphire. Do you have any idea when/if that will happen? (soon or far in the future?)

It's difficult to predict when this feature will be ready. It's not a particularly hard thing to implement, but there are several other features on the dev plan with higher priority at the moment. I would hope I'd get to it before the middle of 2008, but I make no guarantees.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Plugins and scripts