L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Ice caps

One of the trickier subjects in L3DT

Ice caps

Postby vedrit » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 pm

This may be in the wrong section, but Im wondering how to make ice caps on my terrains, since Im going for a global texture
vedrit

Postby demi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 am

You mean like ice instead of snow?

Make a new climate file to set the height of the ice be my guess. You can set snow from height min to height max and the ice above that. You need a texture to add is all.

Look at the tutorial on climates.

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials:l3dt:newclimate

Hope that helps.
demi
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:50 am

Hi Vedrit,

As you may know, L3DT does not model global temperatures, so it doesn't know whether water should be in the ice phase or not. Thus, it's not possible for L3DT to realistically create such features as icebergs or icecaps over sea.

However, L3DT can with appropriate use of climates, model the solid surface of snow or ice covered terrain. To do this, you can paint the 'arctic' climate over the area of the map you wish to be snow covered. You can see an example of this in the designing a fjord tutorial, where I painted the arctic climate over some terrain to simulate an arctic fjord.

If you want pure icecaps without a rocky shore (as present in the arctic climate), I suggest you create a copy of the arctic climate (using the climate manager) and delete from the new climate the 'pebbles' land type, or else modify its altitude range to have a maximum of 0.

Please let me know if you find any problems with L3DT or the tutorial.

Best regards,
Aaron.

[Edited to fix broken link]
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Climates and materials