L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Two questions on textures and climates

One of the trickier subjects in L3DT

Two questions on textures and climates

Postby Spookygnu » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:19 am

Hi folks, been using l3dt for some time now and i have masterthe core basics of it. What i would like to know is how to i reset my climates back to default? I messed about with one or two in the temperate climate and i can't seem to get them back to how they were.

Also, i am using l3dt to build islands for the arma franchsie and would like to know if it is possible to import the armatextures into my builds. The texture files are saved as .paa formats. If i want to view these in photoshop i have to save them as .tga files. I can then use pattern overlay over the am map layer etc to piece it together how i want.

If i could import the textures as climates and use them the same way i do as default that would save me alot of time and hassle.

Thanks

Spook
Spookygnu

Re: Two questions on textures and climates

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi Spookygnu,

There's no nice automatic way to restore to the default climates, but you can copy the originals from this folder:

Code: Select all
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bundysoft\L3DT [version]\Resources (default)\Climates

...and paste them over the ones in this folder:

Code: Select all
C:\Users\[your user name]\L3DT\resources\[version]\Climates

Also, i am using l3dt to build islands for the arma franchsie and would like to know if it is possible to import the armatextures into my builds. The texture files are saved as .paa formats. If i want to view these in photoshop i have to save them as .tga files. I can then use pattern overlay over the am map layer etc to piece it together how i want.

LDT supports TGA, so yes, you should be able to load them into L3DT. How you'd do this is to create a new material for each texture (using the material editor). You then need to either create a new climate or a copy of an existing climate (in the climate manager), and assign your new materials to each land type in the climate (material assignment is on the 'appearance' tab of the land type editor). Please let me know if you find any problems with this.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Spookygnu » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:38 am

Thats great to hear Arron, i've been toying with this idea for quite a while now, and it certainly may help shave off a few editing hours on a satmap using the arma textures.

I'll be in touch.

Thanks.
Spookygnu

Postby Spookygnu » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:03 am

hi Arron!

After doing abit of research with the Arma editing experts, I was told that it wouldn't really be possible or look great to try and put in the Arma textures into L3DT. I would have to reduce the resolution to a point where I won't be able to recognise anything. So on that note, it's a no no atm.

I have made some progress for my satellite map though, which was a the reasoning behind me asking my first question becasue i wasn't very good at photoshop at the time. lol!
Spookygnu

Return to Climates and materials