L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Tropical Climates?

One of the trickier subjects in L3DT

Tropical Climates?

Postby flamesrock » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:40 am

Hi,

I just recently bought the professional version of L3DT.. and it's deep. So deep in fact that I'm having trouble creating climates for it.

Basically, I'm importing design maps from greyscale, and then creating texture maps from those to use with the game 'Spring'. The goal is to have beaches, regular flatland, and drier, rocky mountains that contrast from the flatland.

So far my climate is creating beaches, but doing so with the same texture as the mountainside slope.. which looks quite ugly. Also, the mountains blend in too much.

Has anyone here created such a climate, and would they be willing to share it?
flamesrock

Postby Forboding Angel » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:43 pm

Well, I had been meaning to talk to aaron about it, but I was considering releasing all my climates (7 of em) to aaron to be included with the 2.5 release of l3dt if he wished as my gift to both the spring community and L3dt users.

However, I'm at a bit of an impass. Climates are relatively closely guarded, and I'm not real sure that I want people to be able to easily reproduce my maps, so therefore...

I will at this time be happy to share the climate file with you (it's extremely good for spring mapping, and most of my climates run off of the same formating), however putting the textures and normals maps would be up to you.

I'm still considering this, of whether or not to give them away in their entirety as I am confident that I am capable of out performing anyone using my stock climates (meaning that if they are good now, I can make them even better). I'm jsut not sure I'm ready to go that far. THe spring community is full of asshats and I have already contributed 5x the amount of any other mapper there.

... Speaking to Aaron directly here ...

If you would like them in their entirety, then I will freely give them to you (assuming you think they are good enough). It did cross my mind that if they were included with full releases then it might cause more people from spring to buy the program, which is an attractive thought. I dunno. What do you think?

Disclaimer:
Have some understanding guys when I have trouble with being possibly "selfish" about things I ahve spent a lot of time working on and attempting to perfect.
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby flamesrock » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Have some understanding guys when I have trouble with being possibly "selfish" about things I ahve spent a lot of time working on and attempting to perfect.

Since I am asking something for nothing, that makes sense.

I will at this time be happy to share the climate file with you (it's extremely good for spring mapping, and most of my climates run off of the same formating), however putting the textures and normals maps would be up to you.

That would be enough to get me started on making my own. The goal for is to make maps with different character from existing ones, not clones. Otherwise whats the point?

THe spring community is full of asshats

Agreed. But there are a lot of cool people as well.

If you're still interested in sharing, could you email the climate file to flamesrock <at> gmail.com? I promise not to share it without your permission.. 8)

-Thanks
flamesrock

Postby flamesrock » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:21 pm

Thanks, man. Works great 8)
flamesrock

Postby Aaron » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi Forboding,

Sorry I haven't replied yet. I'll give you a proper answer when I get back from work today.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:28 am

Hi Forboding Angel,

If you would like them in their entirety, then I will freely give them to you (assuming you think they are good enough). It did cross my mind that if they were included with full releases then it might cause more people from spring to buy the program, which is an attractive thought. I dunno. What do you think?

Judging by your screenshots over at the TA Spring forum, I'm certain they're good enough, and I would be honoured to include them in the L3DT installer. However, I can also fully appreciate your reluctance to give away your climates in their entirety; I know they represent a big investment in time and skill. Any contribution, whether in part or full, would be very greatly appreciated, and I think there are several options here:

Firstly, I should say that I can't include any climates in the installer that don't have all their textures, since they then wouldn't work 'out of the box', and I'd be getting bug reports saying "why doesn't this climate work?". However, I can re-balance some of the existing (shoddy) textures to match the approximate colour and 'vibe' of your textures. They won't be as good, but the users are always free to seek-out textures that are better than the L3DT default textures.

Alternatively, we could publish the climates in the climate repository without textures, so that users can download and use the climates with their own own textures. I'm happy to write any accompanying documentation to help users in downloading/installing the climates, where to put textures, etc. This would also help other users to learn the art of working with climates/textures, and could be good for 'community building'.

A third option, which may be a little out of left-field, is selling the climates/textures (e.g. via PayPal). I don't know if anyone is interested in doing this, but there could be a market for high-quality and modestly priced climates/textures. I for one wouldn't mind paying for such a thing. If copy protection is a concern, I can pretty easily add an option to encrypt the climate files and add a key generator for the vendor (I like cryptography, possibly a bit too much). Anyhoo, it's just a though...

So, to bring my wordy post to a close, please don't feel pressured to give away all of your work for free. Any contribution, in any form, would be really appreciated.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:28 pm

Hay all,

Been a while since I was really where and had time to read and maybe post one or 2 things. Hugs to all.

Well this is an interesting thread I must say /winks and smiles..... To any one the new people I have on the http://teturesource.org forums a few Climate packs I created and a ton of free textures and graphics there to play with. As well as a ton of other peoples textures as well. There has been some trouble with Javabones server that I cannot access at this time as it looks like we ran out of hard drive space and have some Lenex and Apache errors of some kind that I cannot get at, so am waiting for the old Java to kick in and get it all straitened out. But in the forums there are some things I have made that may help some.

Aaron Wrote:
A third option, which may be a little out of left-field, is selling the climates/textures (e.g. via PayPal). I don't know if anyone is interested in doing this, but there could be a market for high-quality and modestly priced climates/textures. I for one wouldn't mind paying for such a thing. If copy protection is a concern, I can pretty easily add an option to encrypt the climate files and add a key generator for the vendor (I like cryptography, possibly a bit too much). Anyhoo, it's just a though...

Actually not so far fetched Aaron. I have been posting stuff on http://renderosity.com and http://eyefetch.com and it looks like allot of peeps are selling there goodies like stuff for Bryce, Poser, textures of all kinds for not allot of duckets anywhere from 1.99 to 15-24.99 per pack, as a price range and it looks like people are buying them. Also you can do that with Vue as well for getting added materials, so not to far fetched as you may think.

So we are planning on our http://atomixworldmarket.com of doing the same thing in our art section as it does look like we could all make a few bucks with our add-ons we have all made to make our stuff look original and stand out from the rest in the crowd so to speak. So I do think it is a good idea, and we can do that with L3DT Plug ins as well. So if anyone does have stuff they want to sell, come create an account on our website and we will set up an area for you to play in /smiles.... as well as here I think, that sound good? it does to me. So if you have software, plugins, textures packs or goodies you want to sell besides here, please feel free to come to our AWM market. Create an account for free and sell your stuff. haha Shameless aren't I? /smiles but it is up and running now and needs people to come sell with us. By the end of this week, we should also be able to take all major credit cards besides PayPal. Allways a good thing /smiles.....

Everywhere I go I talk about L3DT and give him lots of credit for the work I have been doing. Aaron's terrains I think are so head and shoulders above the rest, he deserves the recognition.

On the other side, hay share with us /winks and Giggles.......hahahaha loloolol

DeathTwisters Alley
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Climates and materials