L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Windows 7 compatibility

Important stuff.

Windows 7 compatibility

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:02 am

Dear All,

The map display in L3DT's main window is not working properly with the new graphics driver model in Windows 7. In some instances, the window is left white because the maps will not paint to the screen. In others, the graphics driver crashes and is automatically restarted, causing the screen to flicker momentarily.

To fix these problems, users should download and install the latest developmental build of L3DT (v2.8 build 18).
  • L3DT Standard users may download the update from the downloads page.
  • L3DT Professional users may download the update from the link provided in your registration/sales e-mail.
  • L3DT for Torque users should contact sales@bundysoft.com, or reply to this post, to receive the latest update.

The latest developmental build fixes the problem with the maps not being painted to the screen. If you encounter the other problem (i.e. graphics driver crash), right-click on the desktop link, select the 'compatibility' tab, and enable the 'disable desktop composition' checkbox, as shown below.

I apologise for this inconvenience. The map display will be re-designed to 'play nice' with Windows 7 in the next stable release of L3DT (v2.9).

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby erikbreau » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Actually, I was having this exact issue.
System stats:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: FQ618AA-A2L a6734f
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/16/08 15:33:21 Ver: 5.35
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 2482MB used, 5706MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I'll try this fix, and let you know if that fixes the issue.
Erik.

....PS: hummm, should it change my Win7 color scheme to basic?

"...loading the project sent to me by NicethugBert .... it loaded, ... NO CRASHES! ... Aaron, you are a Genius [a roman word meaning the accumulated wisdom of all your ancestors, btw] !!!"
erikbreau

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi All,

The latest developmental build of L3DT (v2.8 build 24) should now fix the problems encountered with graphics driver resetting when in running L3DT in Windows 7 using Aero themes. For more information, please see this blog post.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Announcements