L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Progress on v2.4 beta3

Important stuff.

Postby DeathTwister » Wed May 24, 2006 1:52 pm

OOh,

Think we found it, looks like one we tried that one before, looks like it got updated at:

http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=view&qid=8236

Is that the one? if so we will get back to you on this, and hopefully all will go well. We have the new TSE clean build to put it in. Thanks for the help and info ya'll......

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby trollfiddler » Wed May 24, 2006 9:16 pm

Yo DT, here is the link. It may be the same as the one you had before, but the GUI was updated to calc the leaf size.

http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?se ... w&qid=8236

Just be aware that there is a small button on the bottom right of the gui that you need to press to get the leaf size. It doesn't fill in the leaf size until you press that button. Obviously you need to fill in the other fields first so that it can do the calc.

It's easy to miss the button if you're not looking for it. Double check the gui you have at the moment, it might save another download and install for you.

<edit>By the way, there are two tabs on the GUI at the top. The one that is visible by default is the terrain import tab. To import textures and see the leaf button you need to select the second tab. Sorry if that's obvious but it's easy to miss as well.</edit>
Cheers,

T.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby Forboding Angel » Wed May 24, 2006 9:49 pm

50 bucks?

WHile that isn't all that much...

I have trouble allocating that much money to things. I am on my own and don't get paid a hell of a lot...
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Thu May 25, 2006 2:10 am

Hello,

Forboding Angel wrote:50 bucks?

Whoops, there seems to be some confusion here. The price will be $25 US dollars, not $50. In selected currencies, that's:

~19.5 Euros
~13 GBP
~33 AUD (Australian pesos)

Regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Thu May 25, 2006 12:10 pm

Hahahaha,

My 50.00 buck idea was just a idea, it is worth it I am sure we will all agree, but like you I am poor as well and can use the break since I am geting ready to plunk down 60.00 for the Torque Constructor when it comes out, and release is very near.

My slave programmer (ROTFL) is going to install the GUI on my TSE so I am going to log out so he can do this here, then I will be hard at work with this. Thanks for the info bro and wish me luck, hahahaha I'll get it, talk wit ya'll laters bro's.

OFF topic statement: will get back to the texture bank in a day or 2, getting terrains in now more importent to me, and programmer is working/learning on it now with the software and getting things set up to contact and get in touch with the server setup for it.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby monks » Thu May 25, 2006 10:00 pm

I love that new texture shot of the cliffs Aaron- very tasty.
:)
monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Joshua » Fri May 26, 2006 12:51 am

monks wrote:I love that new texture shot of the cliffs Aaron- very tasty.
:)
monks

Agreed, monks. :wink:

And the one before that even moreso.
Joshua
Luminary

Postby JavaJones » Fri May 26, 2006 5:53 am

DT, sounds good on the texture repository. Just feel free to chat with me about it as I have a fair amount of experience with these types of systems and setups, and hosting, etc. I may be able to help, save time, save money, etc. :D

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby monks » Fri May 26, 2006 9:00 am

Joshua- that's the one I meant :) I would have like a little less shadow on the cliff face to see the details though.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Fri May 26, 2006 1:15 pm

Hello,

monks wrote:I would have like a little less shadow on the cliff face to see the details though.

Here are some more screenies with the sun in different positions.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Fri May 26, 2006 1:22 pm

Hay guys, hay JavaJones,

DT, sounds good on the texture repository. Just feel free to chat with me about it as I have a fair amount of experience with these types of systems and setups, and hosting, etc. I may be able to help, save time, save money, etc.

Woot will get into that the beginning of next week then with my partner. Have peeps from out of town coming this weekend, and I am on a jag to get one of my terrains into TSE, I hope today.

OOH, and I am adding in a few minutes a add on Texture pack of textures I forgot to add. both ground and some grass ones I have made, so you can have fun switching them all out, as am /chuckles. I'll probably add them to the bottom of my post.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby monks » Fri May 26, 2006 1:59 pm

Hmmm- they're not quite as dramatic maybe, but you can really appreciate the textures now. It's funny because even though the 'sun facing cliffs 30 deg' shows more detail, the noon image actually looks almost photorealistic in places- especailly down at the shoreline in that flat arc section and in the background.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Fri May 26, 2006 3:55 pm

Hay Monks,

It's funny because even though the 'sun facing cliffs 30 deg' shows more detail, the noon image actually looks almost photorealistic in places- especially down at the shoreline in that flat arc section and in the background.

Yup I agree, that is what I am doing to try and get more photorealistic with my terrain for this first import. Having my lighting at 90% does give that effect in my opinion. That and when I bring files in I want the lighting of the engine to make the shadows, kinda of a double bonus for me I think with what I am trying to do.

Not sure exactly how my _bumping will work in TSE yet, but one step at a time. Not to mention the bump shaders and so forth, baked textures and all, but I am learning.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby trollfiddler » Fri May 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Hi DT,

The formula for calculating leafsize is

2^treeDepth-1 * leafSize = imageSize

OK, what does that mean? Let's do the treedepth-1 thing first.

You know that when you made your terrain file you had to choose a treedepth? Let's say you chose a treedepth of 6. OK, easy peasy, 6 -1 =5. Or say you had a treedepth of 9. So 9 -1 = 8. OK that's the obvious part. Just get whatever treedepth you specified for your terrain and take one away from it.

Next, 2^ is a shorthand way of saying "2 to the power of." So what this bit means is you multiply two by itself for the number of times you got by doing the treedepth minus one buisness. So if you got 5 as the answer to the treedepth thing, you multiply two by itself 5 times. That is 2x2x2x2x2 which equals 32.

Now, you will already know the size of your texture file. It will be 2048 x 2048, or 1024 x 1024, or whatever size it is.

So following our example above, we have the number 32 worked out if our treedepth was 6. If our image is 1024 then we need to multiply 32 by some number to get 1024. Whatever that number is is your leaf size! Geddit?

In this case the leafsize 32, because 32 x 32 is 1024. If your image file had been 2048 in size then the leafsize would have been 64, as 32 x 64 = 2048.

So to run through it quickly once more.

1) Take one away from your treedepth. Let's say treedepth is 6 so the answer is 5.

2) Multiply 2 by itself for the number of times in the answer from part one. So we multiply two by itself 5 times in this case. Which is 32.

3)Get your texture image size. Let's say it's 2048. We need to multiply the answer from part (2) by some number which will give us 2048. So we need to multiply 32 by 64, which is in fact equal to 2048. How did I get 64? You just have to guesstimate. If you're crap at maths just use a calculator and keep multiplying 32 by increasing numbers until you get 2048 (or whatever size your texture is). You'll soon have most of the basic numbers for leaf sizes figured out.

Hope that helps.

T.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby monks » Fri May 26, 2006 5:45 pm

Having my lighting at 90% does give that effect in my opinion.

so do you mean that you have your lghing at 90% in L3DT? I've not tried that.

monks
monks
Oracle

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements