L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DT Release 2.4

Important stuff.

L3DT Release 2.4

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:43 pm

Hello all,

L3DT release 2.4 is finally ready. You can read all about it on the news weblog, download it from the downloads page(s), and/or discuss it here in the forum.

The payment system for purchasing L3DT Pro licenses will be opened on Monday.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Joshua » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:57 pm

Congrats! :wink:
Joshua
Luminary

Postby SeerBlue » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:38 pm

Yes, congratulations and thanks for all the hard work SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby mauronen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:48 am

Hi Aaron.

Congratulation for your hard work.

Only one thing. Documentation is only available online. It's possible to download it (as PDF or HTML format)?

Cheers.

Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi Mauro,

mauronen wrote:Only one thing. Documentation is only available online. It's possible to download it (as PDF or HTML format)?

Not at the moment. The last time I raised this subject in the forums I didn't get much support for keeping the off-line version, so it was dropped for this release. When I finish updating the v2.4 on-line documentation I might have another look at re-doing the off-line version, if there is sufficient interest from the users' community.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mauronen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:30 pm

Now i'm too busy, but in the middle of august, if you want, i could take the online documentation and transform it into PDF.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby monks » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:49 pm

Congratulations Aaron and thanks for great software at such a reasonable price :wink:

Looking forward to what the future has in store.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby JavaJones » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:27 pm

Why not just use a PDF printer driver to convert the web version directly to PDF?

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:35 am

'ello 'ello,

Mauronen wrote:Now i'm too busy, but in the middle of august, if you want, i could take the online documentation and transform it into PDF.

Thanks Mauro, that's a very gracious offer. I may have time to get this done before August, but if not, then your effort would be greatly appreciated. Oh yes, if it's all the same, I'd prefer HTML to PDF, since it's easier to modify (for me, at least).

JavaJones wrote:Why not just use a PDF printer driver to convert the web version directly to PDF?

It might make things a little easier, but there are (on last count) 213 distinct pages in the user-guide, so it's still going to be painful. Another problem is that all the links are absolute URLs, and most contain PHP arguments. The off-line version would require all the links to be changed to point to the correct off-line pages, so every page would require search-and-replace for the link addresses. This is why I don't do this very often.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JavaJones » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:22 am

Ah, hmm. Unfortunate that it wasn't originally created with portability in mind then. I for one find the online version to be fine though, fortunately. :D

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:35 am

Hi Oshyan,

JavaJones wrote:Ah, hmm. Unfortunate that it wasn't originally created with portability in mind then.

Originally it was quite portable (back when it was all pure HTML files), but it was a real bugger to maintain. With the current wiki system I get simpler syntax (with X/HTML if I need it), a built-in spell-checker, a media manager, a link-checker, revision history management, and an easy edit-anywhere interface. Trading portability for functionality still looks like a good deal to me.

Ooh, I just did a quick Google and I see that someone has written a PHP script to spider a DokuWiki installation and export the pages as plain off-line HTML. I'll give it a try later tonight (maybe).

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JavaJones » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:30 pm

Excellent. Where there's a will there's usually a way. :)

And yes I don't disagree with the benefits of a Wiki. But I do think there are other ways to get similar functionality. To me the primary benefit of a Wiki is the collaborative aspect. There are plenty of (better, IMO) formatting tools for single-user online article/documentation writing.

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:54 am

Hello Oshyan,

What would you recommend?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JavaJones » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:40 am

Well, the nice thing about a Wiki is they are decent stand-alone and they can generally integrate with other systems. My inclination for easier formatting would be a CMS or something like the vBulletin article systems: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75916 (there are several)

The thing is that even a basic forum like this one has easier and almost as powerful formatting as a Wiki. Simple Machines Forum and vBulletin are even better. There are lots of free editors like http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/ and http://www.fckeditor.net/ that, used with a simple content management system, would make editing a lot easier IMO.

That being said a Wiki is probably still the simplest off-the-shelf solution. My main problem with it is ease of use - I don't find the formatting at all intuitive. But then I don't know it that well yet. I just like SMF's post editor, Fckeditor, etc. a lot better. Really it's not so much about the content indexing system as the editing side of it. The indexing is integral to a wiki though which is why you need a CMS back end to really trump it. Combine a good but simple CMS with a nice WYSIWYG editor and I think you'd have a much more pleasant system to work with. I'd start at http://www.opensourcecms.com/ under "Lite".

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:25 am

Hi Oshyan,

Okay, thanks for that.

Looking around, I don't think I've seen anything to convince me to change, but I guess that may be because I've learnt the wiki syntax, so I don't have a problem with editing (I just type). I certainly find it much easier, more powerful, and less clunky than the forum's BBcode (Can you even make a table in BBcode? How about right-aligning an image and forcing the width to 200px?). Also, having a WSIWYG editor doesn't interest me in this case - it would just slow me down.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements