L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Another release coming soon

Important stuff.

Another release coming soon

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

A new release of L3DT is now planned for October or November*. Little did I know last month when I released L3DT v11.08 that some easy optimisations** could be made that would dramatically improve calculation speeds. The new version proved to be over twice as fast as the previous two releases (v11.08 and v2.9) at running a mixed bag of typical map calculations (namely, this batch file). The batch calculation times for each version*** were:
  • L3DT 11.09 build 3 - 3.3 hours.
  • L3DT release 11.08 - 6.9 hours.
  • L3DT release 2.9 - 6.9 hours.
A beta version of the next release will be available within a fortnight, but in the mean-time you can get all these goodies in the latest developmental build of L3DT Pro (11.09 build 3), which is on the downloads page now. L3DT for Torque users should reply here or PM me for the download link.

Users of the free L3DT Standard Edition should note that they will see a much more modest speed improvement than that described above, since most of these optimisations rely on multi-threading, and have maximum effect on large map sizes (>4k x 4k pixels), neither of which are supported in the Standard Edition. Nevertheless, there will still be some improvement due to the optimised normal map and texture interpolation routines, which will speed up the generation of normal maps, light maps and textures.

If you find any problems with this build, or would like to suggest any further changes, please reply to this forum thread.

Cheers,
Aaron.

* The next release was to be codenamed "Confused Chihuahua" due to popular demand, but the YouTube video is...ahem...a little unsavoury. I might go with the more family-friendly "Dramatic Chipmunk" instead. An oldie but a goodie.

** Insofar as anything involving multi-threading and dynamic cache management can be considered 'easy'.

*** All tests were performed on a quad-core Intel Q6600 with 4GB of RAM running Win7 x64 Pro.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Another release coming soon

Postby Prime_8 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:50 am

cool.
LOL, my gear is old . XP dual core amd 64 but 32bit OS . :P , but it runs reliable .

cant wait for more speed .
Prime_8
Contributing member

Postby David Walters » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 pm

I've finally begun playing around with my terrain engine again I finally tried 11.10 build 5 out and WOW! High-rez AM generation is so much faster now it's multi-threaded (we have the same CPU I think).

Thanks!
David Walters
Doyen

Postby Prime_8 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:35 am

ooh me try soon , i have a quad core , with dual video card rig now ... 64 bit os ..
fun time .
Prime_8
Contributing member

Return to Announcements