L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Dev build 2.4.0.18

Important stuff.

Dev build 2.4.0.18

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:02 am

Hello all,

This is a quick note for the benefit of those who haven't stopped by the news weblog lately (or haven't subscribed to the RSS feed thereof) – there is a new developmental build of L3DT Pro available (v2.4.0.18). The changes from v2.4 are enumerated here, but the highlights are:
  • There is a new 'calculation queue' wizard (replaces the 'next' button in the toolbar).
  • You can make high-res alpha maps.
  • The non-mosaic export limit was increased to 8193 x 8193, for the sake of renderers that use 2^n+1 sizes.
  • There are presets bars for the light-mapping and texture wizards.
  • The 'per pixel land types' texture algorithm now works when there isn't a design map.
Now, I should mention that I uploaded the installer to the server less than an hour after I finished compilation, so I haven't done any serious stress-testing. However, this dev-build will install alongside other existing installations of L3DT, so if you want to give it a try you won't have to worry about affecting your current version.

Once debugging is done, this will be released as L3DT v2.4a. I was planning on including new mouse painting tools in v2.4a also, but I've split this off into a subsequent release so that the changes listed above will be available sooner.

Anyway, please have a play and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Joshua » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:19 am

Sounds good, just picked up the new build and I'm working with it now. :wink:
Joshua
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Yawn, hay all,

Been very bizzy this last weekend and just now sitting down to the comp and get updated and so on.
WOOHOO a new build to play with thankies brother I will go download it now. WE had a great first annual ATOMIX Picknic and Meeting. Men am I wipped now though, Woooo sleepy and tired, there was allot to talk about and do, so still a bit in Brain fry /winks....BBQede a 6 month old Lamb and smoked fresh salmon I got from the Yurok Indians and such yum yum.

Any plans for getting that fine tune brush going for us any time soon? sure would be nice to get better brush work, then could make roads and streems, and allot of stuff we can't now. OK, will go looking at all the posts I have not answered so will get back to here soon. WTG bro for a new build.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby mauronen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:41 pm

Hi Aaron
Great solution the calculation queue! Very useful.
I'm ever forgot to highlight a little bug in Throttle CPU: with my 2 kind of processor (Intel Pentium M 760 and AMD 2600) this utility fails displaying this message:

CCpuThrottle_dlg::OnTimer error:
- could not collect query data

Cheers.

Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Hi Mauro,

Thanks for the bug-report.

This is most curious. I'm running an AMD 2600 here, so I doubt it's a hardware-incompatibility problem. Has anyone else in the community had a problem with the CPU throttling feature? It would be really helpful to know how widespread this problem is.

Also, please forgive me if I've asked this of you before, but which Windows version are you using? Furthermore, can you tell me the file-version of the 'pdh.dll' in the 'C:\WINDOWS\system32' directory? On my installation it is version 5.1.2600.2180.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mauronen » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:33 pm

Hi Aaron.

On my laptop i'm using Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 2 plus additional fixpacks
On my desktop i'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (without additional fixpacks). The CPU that i'm using on this system is AMD Sempron 2800+
Into both system the pdh.dll installed is the same as yours:

Cheers.
Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby monks » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:52 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl :)

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi Mauro,

I've uploaded a new build (v2.4.1.19) that should provide a bit more debugging information regarding the CPU throttle. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give it a try and post the result.

In other news:

Has anyone found a problem with the new calculation queue wizard? Do you get strange errors? Is it confusing? Can you suggest improvements?

If the answers are “no”, I'll draw a line under the feature and re-brand v2.4.0.19 as L3DT release 2.4a, probably some time in the next week.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mauronen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi Aaron.

I've installed new release of L3DT:

Code: Select all
Release no: 2.4 Rev. 19
Build date: 20-July-06

Below is the message that was displayed into Error Log:

CCpuThrottle_dlg::ShowWnd error:
 - could not allocate counter

Another thing: sometimes (i didn't understood well when it happens), when i'm trying to pass from Attributes Map to Terrain Normals Map, L3DT jump suddenly to first panel of Light Map. Is it normal?

Cheers.
Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby mauronen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:46 pm

Hi Aaron:

I've found (maybe) another 2 bug in dev 2.4.0.19.

First bug:
I try to describe step-by step whatever i done:

- I've imported a Design Map from a Terragen heightfield
- I've clicked the "Next" button for all steps and then i've started L3DTVi2 (see second bug)
- When i've generated Texture Map i've activated Design Map again and i've modified something
- I've clicked the "Calculation Queue" button
- I've checked all steps (it ask to me if i want to recalculate heightfield and water map) and i've left all setting to default except:
1) Light preset (Dawn)
2) LM/HF ratio=4
3) TX/HF ratio=4
4) Per-pixel land type=true

Here is the message in Error Log
CMapGroup::DM_GenMap error:
 - No design map algorithm has been identified

Second bug:

I've tried to load .mgf file into L3DTVi2 but the application grows indefinitely and eat all RAM, without show anything

Cheers.

Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby mauronen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi Aaron.

Another bug (sob!)

The button "Next" (step-by-step) is disappeared suddenly!

First time that i've installed (over previous dev 2.4.0.18) this button was present. As soon as i wrote to you previous reply it disappeared. Ive tried to reload L3DT but...nothing!

Cheers.

Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:51 pm

Hi Mauro,

Another thing: sometimes (i didn't understood well when it happens), when i'm trying to pass from Attributes Map to Terrain Normals Map, L3DT jump suddenly to first panel of Light Map. Is it normal?

Yeah, that was intentional. I cut-out the normal-mapping stage from the 'next >>>' sequence because in most cases the normals map is only used to generate the light map anyway.

The button "Next" (step-by-step) is disappeared suddenly!

Yup, it's been replaced in v2.4.0.19 by the 'calc' button. This new way will default to running the 'next' calculation as before, but it also allows you to queue-up several calculations, or skip-over some calculations. Does this make sense?

As for the 'No design map algorithm has been identified' error; this occurred because you'd enabled the 'design map' option in the calculation queue, but since the design-map came from an imported heightfield, L3DT has no idea how to generate it. In such a case, you should disable the 'design map' option. I'll try to find a way to check this behaviour and issue a polite warning rather than throw an error.

As for the second bug; it is usually caused by saving the heightfield in a format not supported by L3DTVi2 (see here). If you re-load the project in L3DT, select 'file->preferences', select 'heightfield->HFF' and click 'use format' then 'OK', L3DT should re-save the heightfield in the correct format.

Oh, and thanks for the report on the "could not allocate counter" error. I'll have to have a look around to see why the Microsoft DLL is failing this way.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi Aaron, that's a definite improvement- it makes the app seem more powerful somehow. At first I was scratching my head with it, but as soon as I realised that not alll of the stages run together if you know what I mean, all became clear.
I've not really had chance to try out the new mountain overlay yet- that is, in conjunction with the spot heights.
I've not found any bugs.

Cheers,
monks
monks
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:25 pm

Hay guys cool,

I'll download the new build and check it out after a bit. I didn't update the last build because I was bizzy then found it had a few bugs and since I was running buns off I desided to wait a bit. Downloading new build now, but wont be able to enjoy it untill I get back next week :cry: Oh well, going to chase the ladies :lol: and get to wear my Renaissance faire costume again, Wooo Hoo all my swards go on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have many to play with, will post some shots somewhere of the ladies and fun fair stuff when I get back.

Has anyone else entered the Image contest yet????Hummmmmmm?????? Aaron needs a few good artists ya know to step up to bat...... :wink:
DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby mauronen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi Aaron

Maybe i've found another bug (if it's so...)
As usual i detai to you the steps that i've followed:

1) Import > Heightfield ... heightfield imported correctly
2) Design map > Generate from HF
3) I've put all slider to left my heightfield untouched
4) I've selected "Desert" climate
and...the Error Log shows as follow:

bfunc_core_GetVar error:
 - 'DM' not found in current namespace

CBundyFunc::Call error:
 - function returned an error

CBundyEngine::CallFunc error: