L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Another exe update + climate tutorial

Important stuff.

Another exe update + climate tutorial

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Hi All,

I've started to add a tutorial on how to build your own climate file. For the moment it is hosted in the 'tutorial addenda' section of the wiki:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials:l3dt:newclimate

It isn't finished yet, but please feel free to leave comments or suggestions. Whenever it's ready (this week? next month?), it will be moved from addenda to the main tutorial, as well as to the off-line docs.

Anyway, while I was writing the tutorial I noticed a fault in some path variable-handling in L3DT that made it impossible to load new climate files (guess I hadn't tested this in a while). I've uploaded fixed versions of both L3DT Standard and Professional, bringing them both up to v2.3b revision 22.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:59 pm

OOh very nice,

I had a huge compcrash/VirusAttack and now I am back up and running again after I got buggered by some wurmy of somekind. /chuckles to himself. So I will double check the updates to make sure that both the pro and reg versions are updated while I am waiting for the re-auth code I lost in the crash for the pro version again. Thanks I love this software and think it is awesome dude.

DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby monks » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:37 am

Just been through this tut: great stuff!

It's something which I've never really had time to get into before now- the new Climate Manager's got a great interface: very straightforward, and the parameters are beginning to mean something to me now :)

I also note you use VTP Enviro, is this a 'one off', or are you looking into that more?

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:39 am

Hi Monks,

Thanks a lot. I was worried that the interface for the climate editor was too, ahh, minimalist; I'm very glad to hear otherwise.

monks wrote:I also note you use VTP Enviro, is this a 'one off', or are you looking into that more?

I used Enviro for that tutorial because it can store and recall camera positions. I wanted to get a series of screenshots from different maps (textures, anyhow) in the same position.

In general I still prefer to use L3DTVi2 because Enviro has some size-restrictions (square, power of two plus one), and VTP/L3DT don't support one-another’s tiled formats (something else to add to my to-do list).

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Climate control

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:01 pm

Morning Aaron,

Wow what a great update you did bro. Simply Awesome. I went and looked at the Tuts, Wow fun fun. Looking forward to the rest of them and maybe help add to them in a bit as well. After I get this interface down some more, but for now I am just spinning dials and changing Textures out back and forth.

Fun Fun

Wish I had time to mess with the climate control in the viewer though :cry: Maybe go check out Enviro some.

The bumping is great now as I can get everything to bump for me :lol:

I am going out today for another photo shoot to get Textures for L3DT today, should be fun. Since I bike allot I figure that taking photo shots for Textures is a good thing. Hope to post a Texture environmental pack for L3DT maybe soon when I get this all figured out. That is if anyone is interested?? Always happy to help :)

One question though. I am having trouble with my water as it seems to be purple which is great if I want it, but I don't. Can't remember where I can go to change that, as I have messed with so much. Where would I go to edit the water collar?? Sorry I feel a bit stupid here bro. I was messing with wanting the sand to be a bit higher at the Lake bank, but instead I seem to have made it Purple and not sure how to get ride of it????

Way to go Aaron you the man, I can't wait for the next update.......:wink:

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Re: Climate control

Postby Aaron » Tue May 02, 2006 8:30 am

Hi Maylock,

DeathTwister wrote: Wish I had time to mess with the climate control in the viewer though :cry: Maybe go check out Enviro some.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'climate control in the viewer'. Could you elaborate?

Oh yeah, I do recommend you check out Enviro. It's very neat.

DeathTwister wrote: I am going out today for another photo shoot to get Textures for L3DT today, should be fun. Since I bike allot I figure that taking photo shots for Textures is a good thing. Hope to post a Texture environmental pack for L3DT maybe soon when I get this all figured out. That is if anyone is interested?? Always happy to help :)

I for one am interested. The textures in L3DT are some shoddy free ones I found when browsing the internet years ago. Something prettier could be more useful.

DeathTwister wrote: One question though. I am having trouble with my water as it seems to be purple which is great if I want it, but I don't. Can't remember where I can go to change that, as I have messed with so much.

I'm guessing you've modified the 'Default' preset in the 'Light/water effects wizard'. To fix this, go to the light-mapping wizard (operations->light map->generate map), click through to the 3rd pane, and set the light absorption half-depths to the following values:

Red to 10m,
Green to 20m, and;
Blue to 50m.

Then, hit the 'save' button in the presets bar to store these settings to the 'Default' preset. Next time you generate the light map, the water will have a blue-green appearance.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Tue May 02, 2006 2:26 pm

Hay kids, hahahahaha chuckles..

Aaron wrote:I'm guessing you've modified the 'Default' preset in the 'Light/water effects wizard'. To fix this, go to the light-mapping wizard (operations->light map->generate map), click through to the 3rd pane, and set the light absorption half-depths to the following values:

Red to 10m,
Green to 20m, and;
Blue to 50m.

Then, hit the 'save' button in the presets bar to store these settings to the 'Default' preset. Next time you generate the light map, the water will have a blue-green appearance.

Oh very cool thanks, I knew I had messed with something but for the life of me I couldn't remember where. :roll:

Aaron wrote:I for one am interested. The textures in L3DT are some shoddy free ones I found when browsing the Internet years ago. Something prettier could be more useful.

OK boss I'm on it. Not sure of a ETA yet but very soon since I was on it anyway for me. Maybe work on a Tut for them as well, but that won't be for 2-3 weeks unless I get a wild hair up my..........well you know what I mean /chuckles. I just want to make sure I can give you a good tut on them before I post one is all. I am still experimenting with that myself some for this program to find what seems to work the best. Then I'll post a tut. Thanks by the way :lol:

Aaron wrote:I'm not sure what you mean about 'climate control in the viewer'. Could you elaborate?

Oh yeah, I do recommend you check out Enviro. It's very neat.

Oh in your "L3DT viewer" the clipping plan/climate control was what I was talking about. It's the fog that I wish I had more control of is all, but I understand that you are not working with that so ya ya I'll check out Enviro and when my programmer gets time he will look at the viewer and see about porting it over to C. No ETA on that yet as we deep into other stuff for the next 3-4 months at least. He promises top look at it though soon.

New Question: Maybe stupid question but Is Bundysoft your company? a one man team? It looks like that, and I have been assuming so, but I just wanted to make sure. It's a great company and I iz proud to be part of all this.

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Water collar

Postby DeathTwister » Tue May 02, 2006 3:24 pm

COOL COOL on the water,

I did what ya said and yes that was it. It was in front of me all the time and I didn't see it. Some time ya just feel kinda you know what :roll: I was looking in the Climate editor, wrong place Doh.

Haha and I still have my Alien water 2 :lol:

DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Thu May 11, 2006 6:26 pm

Hay all,

Just a quickie I think today, then on to other software again :cry: .

Been playing with the climate editor still. This overhead shot is with multiple climates and was interesting but not quite what I was after. That was from the older terrain I had posted.

Then after much thought I desided to remake the terrain carefully and just used one of my new climates I have been working on for the whole map to be able to figure out what textures do what to where.

Much more like what I was after I think. Those textures Aaron that you say you found on the net, are really good and I have used them to understand how to take photos and then convert them to a actual textures that look good both from afar and close up.
Example:

I think I am almost there. I will I think need to run a few through the Bryce texure generator I think and do a few other things but I am beginning to get a handle on this somewhat I think?! I think grass is the hardest to make and make seemless so it looks good from photos so far for me anyway, but I getting there. Will post a climate pack when I get it tweaked a bit more, by next weekend I hope, and will send you some stuff Aaron as well.

Dang am I having fun here hehehehehe.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

DeathTwister :twisted: OK so I am having to much fun, what else is a poor boy to do in the woods hahahahahahaha....
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Hinklemister » Fri May 12, 2006 2:29 pm

Those shots look great DeathTwister. You've done a great job so far. I'd love to use those climates.

-Hinklemister
I'm 17 years old and make games!
Hinklemister
Contributing member

Return to Announcements