L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Update on Friday (8th of June)

Important stuff.

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi All,

William, that log doesn't show the error, but I'll have a try based on your settings and see what happens. It may be an issue that your LM was 2x resolution whilst your AM, TN and TX were 4x. I'll look into it tomorrow.

dEaThMaStEr, welcome back! I think we've all missed your shader kung-fu around these parts.

Monks and William, I worked out why L3DT didn't properly detect your core count correctly: the setting was stored in a local settings file for user preferences that is shared across all versions of L3DT on your computer (under your account), and is never overwritten by L3DT. In this case, L3DT should have overwritten the MaxThreadCount value that was set by an older version of L3DT (multithreading has been in there for a long time, just not enabled by default). To fix this I've added an extra flag called 'AutoDetectCoreCount', which if true (and it is by default), will force L3DT to override the 'MaxThreadCount' value stored in your local settings and read the value from Windows. If you disable this flag, you will be able to set the thread count manually, so for instance you could set L3DT to run on three of four cores. Anyway, this is all in the latest build of L3DT v2.5a (build 4), which I uploaded last night.

The very latest build also has some improvements in the Sapphire rendering plugin, which now fully supports mosaic maps and textures. As mentioned recently in the dev weblog, this brings Sapphire up to feature parity with L3DTVi2, and consequently L3DTVi2 will be retired as of the following release (v2.5b). Thus, we will shortly see the end of the "L3DTVi2 locked up when loading my map" bug.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:14 am

Hi William,

I can't seem to reproduce the bug you reported when generating the textures, and not for lack of trying (~24 hours of non-stop tests so far). With the same map sizes and settings that you used (in 8x texture res.), and in both single-core and multi-core mode, I don't get any problems. If/when this bug next occurs, please send me the logfile before you open L3DT again (the log you sent was from a subsequent session, and didn't contain the bug info).

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dr_boom » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:16 am

aaron wrote:
dr_boom wrote:...where is the developmental builds section?

It's directly beneath where you downloaded the stable build.

Is this up yet? I can see where to download the standard beta, but not the pro update. I bought mine from the GG site, will the update be there eventually?
dr_boom

Postby Aaron » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:30 am

Hi Dr Boom,

Yes, it was uploaded to the Pro downloads page yesterday (I'll PM you a link). I haven't made the announcement just yet though, as the upload to the GarageGames site is taking a bit more time. They're mirrored by Akamai, I think.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Announcements