L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Vista and Linux compatibility

Important stuff.

Vista and Linux compatibility

Postby Aaron » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:31 am

Hi Everyone,

I've updated the main development computer here at Bundysoft HQ to something a little more modern (hint: quad core), and on a whim I thought I'd try my luck with a new operating system too (Vista x64).

Whilst my wifi drivers still don't work (thank-you D-Link, thank-you Microsoft), I am pleased to be able to say the latest stable releases of L3DT Professional and Standard both worked out-of-the-box on Vista Business x64. [Correction: L3DT Professional release 2.5c still has some installer problems in Vista. Affected users should download a later developmental build, such as L3DT Pro 2.5.4.2, which is on the download page now.]

Furthermore, I also installed Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron", and was even more pleased to find that the latest stable releases of L3DT Professional and Standard both worked very well using the latest release of Wine (0.9.59). There remain a few minor glitches due to an incompatible plugin (namely 'ZeoPerfMon_NT'), but on the whole I'd say that L3DT in Linux is now a highly usable proposition. If you'd like to know more about L3DT in Linux, please see the L3DT in Linux user guide.

Incidentally, the D-link wifi drivers for Windows 2k/ XP seem to work perfectly in Ubuntu 8.04 using ndisgtk and ndiswrapper. It's frickin' outrageous that the drivers don't work in Vista. And don't get me started on the catastrophe that is installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 on Vista x64...

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Pez_man » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:26 pm

cool. i'm thing bout getting a new PC soon with Vista (64-bit) so that takes care of one problem (200 more to go) :D oh and aaron, dunno if you noticed but we had an idea of starting image of the month again. refer to this: http://www.bundysoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=914
Go Bretons!!!!!!!! (Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion)
I'm 14th top poster!!!
You lose THE GAME!!! :)
Pez_man
Luminary

Return to Announcements