L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

does the mesh exporters support mosaic mode in pro

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

does the mesh exporters support mosaic mode in pro

Postby mcbeth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:25 pm

pretty much what I wanted to find out, may pick this up, finally got that credit card, but this will be a big winner for me

at present I do it by hand in blender
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi McBeth,

Mosaic heightfields can be exported as single optimised mesh files, or as tiles of raw unoptimised meshes. There is presently no option to export as optimised mesh tiles.

Regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mcbeth » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:37 pm

raw as in the file format or as in any mesh format supported by l3dt but unoptimized, pretty much I want to export a tiled mesh or mesh tiles, for import into a game engine for the frustum culling to remove unseen tiles......all levels will be built in blender inclusive of terrain
mcbeth
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi McBeth,

By 'raw unoptimised meshes' I was referring to mesh files (OBJ, X, etc.) containing unoptimised meshes, not the RAW heightfield format. I apologise for any confusion caused.

[Edited to add 'un' prefix to 'optimised meshes'. Whoopsie]

So, to be clear, L3DT Pro will export mosaic mesh files, but without any mesh optimisation. This means that each tile will contain a huge number of triangles.

On the development plan for v3.0 of L3DT is support for a mosaic exporter of optimised mesh files, but I can offer no estimated release date just yet. In the mean time, I might refer you to this forum thread, where user Dobinz recommended a tool to optimise mesh tiles.

Regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion