L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

in side the atlas

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

in side the atlas

Postby nod114 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:42 pm

hello all
I was wondering when you export a map in to torque is the map at all smoothed down and not so ruff or is more like what you see in l3dt 3d view mode is what you get? Again i am just wondering. :D
MY AIM SHALL NOT FALTER
nod114
Contributing member

Postby lmaceleighton » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 pm

I will say that confused me at first too. It isnt exactly the same, but generally very close. it may be that the way light-maps are generated are different making one terrain look smoother over another, but I am sure Aaron can give a better answer as to why the appear a bit different at times.
lmaceleighton
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi Nod114,

In an Atlas file the terrain is stored as a 3D mesh, not as a heightfield. The geometry is usually a little less-detailed than the full-resolution heightfield, but that's the point; it's much faster to render. However, please note that it's impossible to modify the terrain geometry in an atlas file without without re-generating the whole mesh, so on-the-fly editing is a no-no.

The textures are, I think, stored without modification. In previous versions of TGEA, the renderer would not render the highest level of detail for high-res textures. This may have been fixed in the last release of TGEA, but I don't know.

L3DT and TGEA lighting are different, so you should use one or the other for the terrain, but not both.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby nod114 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Ok that sounds pretty cool. :D
MY AIM SHALL NOT FALTER
nod114
Contributing member

Return to General discussion