L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Use L3DT to "extrapolate" a terrain?

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Use L3DT to "extrapolate" a terrain?

Postby bigkahuna » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Can L3DT be used for this? I have a very small scale GeoTIFF heightmap that I would like to cut into pieces and then use L3DT to extrapolate/interpolate a higher resolution terrain from each piece. Essentially what I want to do is to break the heightmap into 64x64 pixel pieces (each represents an area roughly 100x100 miles) and then (through some L3DT magic) create a 1024x1024 heightmap, distribution map, lightmap, etc.

Is this do-able with L3DT? If so, how do I go about doing this? If L3DT won't do this, any recommendations on an application that will?

Thanks very much!
bigkahuna

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Bigkahuna,

You may wish to look at the 'import design map' feature (user guide is here). This allows you to import your whole GeoTIFF as a design map, which L3DT can then use to generate the more detailed heightfield. The example shown in the documentation is of a low-res DEM of Japan (with a little of eastern Korea, China and Russia thrown in to boot). If you're using L3DT Pro you should be able to generate the whole heightfield, light map, texture &c in the one project file, and then export areas as tiles if you so choose.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby bigkahuna » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks Aaron, looks like I've got some studying to do. I'm giving the "Standard" version a try for now but plan on buying Pro soon. :)
bigkahuna

Postby Telarus » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Aloha and welcome to the forums.

I've been studying to do this exact thing for an RPG atlas (focused on the Black Sea and Ural Sea areas). The tutorial Aaron pointed to is definitely the way to go. I'd also study everything you can about the Climate functions and how textures map to terrains, in order to give your large area the correct "feel" of varied biomes/climates/species populations.
Telarus
Doyen

Return to General discussion