L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Would anyone be gravely offended if...?

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Would anyone be gravely offended if...?

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:12 am

Hi All,

Would it upset anyone if I removed the 'split map into mosaic' and 'tile size' controls from all wizards except the export wizard, and instead have L3DT automagically pick the best settings? This would prevent a slew of errors caused by users inadvertently selecting unwise combinations of values, and would generally make the user interface a little smaller and quicker to grok.

If you do care about things like mosaic tile sizes, you will still be able to get your map in your preferred format using the export wizard, which will retain these controls.

Does anyone manually set mosaic tile sizes when making maps, and if so, why?

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: If no serious complaints are received, I will include this change in the next release of L3DT (nominally v3.0).
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Would anyone be gravely offended if...?

Postby chieling » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:27 pm

why would u change it? i havent seen a reason to yet.
chieling
Contributing member

Postby lmaceleighton » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:41 pm

I use that feature to split a very large map, in this case an entire world into tiles x2048 so that the game engines can handle them. So far I have worked on two different projects that use this process, and your software is invaluable Aaron! If you need to remove these controls from this area that is OK with me just as long as during export I can break it up how I want, as that is the only time I use the feature anyway just on export....at the same time i export the texture masks i think....But thank you for asking our opinions!

Bobby
"I have found that most problems can be solved by pluging you ears and humming loudly."
lmaceleighton
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback Bobby. Users will definitely retain the option to format the map how they like in the export wizard, and also of course using plugins, scripts and graphs if they need something fancy. There won't be any lost functionality, but I was worried there might be some lost convenience; for instance if users take the output maps directly from disk without using the export wizard. Since I don't know every users work-plan or 3rd party tools, I thought it best to ask first, and I don't intended to come to a decision on this question any time soon.

chieling wrote:why would u change it? i havent seen a reason to yet.

Please allow be to reiterate and expand upon my post above: This change:
  1. ...removes the possibility of users selecting poor settings that adversely affect performance or result in other errors.
  2. ...simplifies the user interface, which makes it easier and faster for new users to learn.
  3. ...frees users from having to know or care how L3DT internally stores the map data, in much the same was as my butcher kindly does not ask me to know or care how sausages are made. L3DT will look after these settings for you.
  4. ...has no apparent down-side* or loss in functionality for users, as the full range of options will still be available when using the export wizard.

Do you have an opinion on whether these controls should be retained?

Best regards,
Aaron.

* Except that I have to update all the screenshots in the tutorials :(
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby chieling » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:04 pm

then no, i think those changes would be great.
chieling
Contributing member

Postby Telarus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:47 pm

I agree, seems like a good idea.
Telarus
Doyen

Postby 3rd Heiko » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 pm

I agree, sound like a good idea. The less internal knowledge is needed the better.
3rd Supplement
Plans, Places, Stuff, Stories
3rd Heiko

Postby metalliandy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:52 pm

As long as i can export maps that have been rendered with the auto tiles, too whatever tile sizes i require (or no tiles) with no extra computation, i dont mind if it gets removed so that users can generate more easily :)
metalliandy
Doyen

Return to General discussion