L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

converting Terragen Surf to L3DT ?

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

converting Terragen Surf to L3DT ?

Postby adezm » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:44 pm

I'm wondering if someone converting terragen surf for L3DT. There are so many nice terragen surface outhere.
adezm

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:40 am

Hi Adezm,

I don't think anyone has written a converter yet, and after having a quick look at the srf format specifications, I'm not sure a satisfactory one can be written. The problem is that, whilst Terragen's surface maps and L3DT's climates are similar in concept, the implementations are very different. You could convert a few parameters such as altitude range, for instance, but most of the CLI settings have no analogue in SRF, and vice-versa. Here are some examples:
  • L3DT does not support nesting of surface layers, as Terragen does.
  • Terragen's bump-mapping is internally generated by fractals, whereas L3DT's bump-mapping is 'imported' from bump-map images.
  • The 'variation' in Terragen surfaces is by one fractal generator, whereas L3DT currently uses up to three perlin generators. The control parameters for these cannot be converted.
  • Terragen's 'coverage' parameter has no analogue in L3DT.
  • Terragen has a min/max slope, whereas L3DT has a gradient coefficient. These are fundamentally different, and you can't convert from one to the other.
  • L3DT's texture-layers have no analogue in Terragen.
  • L3DT's curvature, water and salinity coefficients have no analogue in Terragen.
So, in summary, any converter from SRF to CLI would only be able to convert a few minor aspects from the surface map (name, alt range, diffuse colour), but would miss most of the complex stuff (textures, bump-maps, noise/variation). Sorry to disappoint.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion