L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Importing attributes maps

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Importing attributes maps

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've added a new interface for importing attributes maps from colour images. The new menu option is 'File->Import->Attributes map->Import from colour map', and the user guide for the plugin (such as it is) is on-line here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:fileio:atimportam&#using_atimportam

Please note that the importer is currently only available in L3DT Professional v2.9 build 9, which is on the downloads page now (as of the 17th of Feb). This option will be included in builds of the Standard (free) and Torque editions in the next few days.

The importer allows you to assign land types to each of the colours in the map using climate / land type drop-down lists. The interface looks like this:

I hope users will find this interface to be a improvement over the 'old way' of importing colour-mapped attributes maps, where there was no interface for assigning land types to colours, so you had to make sure that every colour in the map exactly matched the display colour of one of the land types loaded into the map project.

This is very much a 'first cut' of the attributes map importer, and I intend to make further improvements to it before L3DT v3.0 is finalised. Please feel free to make recommendations, and double-plus please report any bugs you find.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Importing attributes maps

Postby Telarus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Wow, very versatile. Awesome.

I'll let you know if I get any bugs when I try it.
Telarus
Doyen

Re: Importing attributes maps

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 am

Hi Everyone,

I've updated this plugin in the latest developmental build (L3DT Pro v2.9 build 10, 20th of Feb) with the following changes:
  • After importing the attributes map and setting the colour->land type assignments, the user can save the 'palette' for later use as a text file (example), which may be later used with L3DT or other programs. This option also saves the palette as a HTML file, which is a little more human readable (example).
  • I've added a 'File->Import->Attributes map->Import from colour map with palette file' menu option, which allows the user to import a colour map using a previously-saved palette file, and thereby bypassing having to manually set the colour->land type assignments. This option is faster too, as L3DT doesn't need to analyse the image to generate the colour table.
  • When exporting the attributes map as a colour-mapped PNG, L3DT now automatically saves the palette TXT and HTML files, which you can then use when re-importing into L3DT (so long as you've not added or changed any colours).
  • The 'colour mapped' mode is now default when exporting the attributes map as a PNG, so you don't need to manually set this option during export.

As always, feedback is most welcome.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion