L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

A couple of questions

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

A couple of questions

Postby Vou » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:27 am

I just downloaded and installed the program and have a couple maps I'm tinkering with. What I'm trying to see/figure out is how do I export the tiles of the mosaic(I only have the free version) so I can save them and import them into Oblivion so I can create a worldspace. I've been modding for just over a year, and I'm in college for Game creation. I'm just wondering how to work the export functions so I can either create random worldspaces for future mods. I'm still trying to learn the interface and get used to worldbuilding, and building a worldspace by hand with the heightmap editor in the TES4CS is not a fun endeavor.
Vou

Re: A couple of questions

Postby Telarus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:43 am

I'm not familiar with the Oblivion editing tools, so I just jumped onto a wiki:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/in ... ap_Editing

Import This option allows you to use 1024x1024 16-bit RAW format images as a starting template for heightmap painting. These should be located in your "Oblivion\Data\HeightField" directory and named according to this grid (ex: Oblivion\Data\HeightField\0_0.raw). The files should also have been saved with these Raw Option settings: Header: 0, Non-interleaved Order, Count: 1, Depth: 16 Bits, Byte Order: IBM PC.

So I'm assuming you need something with those specs. As a test, I generated a quick 2048 * 2048 terrain heightfield with L3DT.

File> Export> Export Active Layer (Ctrl+E), to bring up the export dialog. Make sure you check "Split Map into Tiles (mosaic map)".
    The Filetype will show L3DT mosaic map. The options button will be greyed out.
    Click the browse button, browse to a folder. Type a short Name, click Save. Then click Next
    On PAGE 2 of the Export Wizard, we now have the setting for the individual files in the mosaic.
    Make sure Tile Size is set to 10247*1024. Select RAW as file-type. Click Options.
    Double check that all the settings are appropriate. (I didn't see anything I had to change to match the above specs). Click OK. Click OK again.

I generated 4 files named "filename_x0y0.raw", "filename_x0y1.raw". These have an origin of the Bottom Left corner of the map in L3DT, as explained on the wiki-page: http://www.bundysoft.com/docs/doku.php? ... ms:mosaics

So, you'll have to rename them to match up with the grid-system used by Oblivion.

Hope that helps!
Telarus
Doyen

Postby Vou » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:51 am

Thanks, I'll try that out. It should work for all versions standard one included right? I know that with oblivion they use a 0_0 setup which arranges things on the grid. Since L3DT starts at 0_0 it makes things easier persay, but also more difficult to some degree, which means I could very easily create a world space that is quite literally a world in which to enjoy playing in. I'll give this a try and see how I make out. Thanks again.
Vou

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi Vou,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. L3DT Standard Edition does not support splitting heightfields into tiles. If you would like access to the Pro version to export your map as a mosaic you can register for a free trial over here.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Telarus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Ooh, good catch Aaron. Yeah, I recommend the free trail as well.
Telarus
Doyen

Postby Vou » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 pm

Alright thank you I'll take a look at the free trial and will look into buying pro version later.
Vou

Return to General discussion