L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

"Stringing together" maps

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

"Stringing together" maps

Postby chieling » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:33 pm

The project that Im working on has me building a continent. Due to restrictions, each terrain section is 2kx2k. there is approximately 10 terrain maps per continent. as of right now, i am having to modify each one by hand to make it match the terrain next to it so that they all flow together. is there an easier way of doin this inside of L3DT that i have missed?
chieling
Contributing member

Re: "Stringing together" maps

Postby lmaceleighton » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:11 pm

What I do is make a REALLY big map, make the whole continent in-fact. Then use the "export as mosaic tiles set" or what ever its called, but its somthing like that I don't have L3DT in front of me at the moment. This will chop up the map into a bunch of smaller maps, although they will be all square you can do the fine tuning in the game engine ( I did read you were using Torque3D Right?). What I have been doing lately was to make smaller continents made up of like 3 or 4 parts. So I would make an island looking map in L3DT then make it like 8192x8192 then I export it as a mosaic. The less pieces the easier it will be most likely.
"I have found that most problems can be solved by pluging you ears and humming loudly."
lmaceleighton
Contributing member

Postby chieling » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:45 pm

"export as mosaic tiles set"? ill have to chk that out. i dont remember it being part of the export for T3D options (but i dont have it in front of me either) and if it wasnt, i didnt try it most likely.

we finally settled on a map size (2kx2kx2meter/pixel) and if i can keep that and chop this up as needed, that would be awesome. i still have another continent to go yet.

Ill chk this out later tonite and see what i can find. thanks!
chieling
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi Chieling,

The option to export a map as a set of Torque T3D TER files is 'File->Export->Torque T3D->BETA TEST->Export Torque MegaTerrain (v7)'. As we discussed previously, T3D doesn't yet support loading sets of TER files as one MegaTerrain object*, so you'll have to handle allocating the TerrainBlock objects for each tile yourself.

Cheers,
Aaron.

* This information may be out of date. I'll have to check on this.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion