L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Using L3DT for individual zone maps

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Using L3DT for individual zone maps

Postby Wolfsong73 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:12 am

Hello all...

I'm working on the early development for an indie MMORPG project, for which I'm intending to use Torque3D. The game will be comprised of individual zones.

I'm considering using L3DT to sorta "rough out" the geography of each zone, allowing it to properly calculate erosion and such to give a more natural base appearance than I think I'd ever be able to achieve by hand - at least in as relatively short an amount of time.

This way I can "rough in" the general locations, hills, cliffs, rivers, lakes, etc... and make sure everything is where it should be, then go back and tweak and modify as necessary to work all the other game assets in.

My first environment is going to be for an early "promo-type" I'm designing to use (ideally) as a recruitment tool when I'm ready to start putting together a full team. I'm a graphics type myself, so putting together a sample world map is ideal for me. The environment in this case will be a coastal woodland along a large inlet, with a moderately sized farming/trading town nestled along its coast.

To this end, it'll be at water level for a large portion of its SE coastline, and then gradually bank up-hill with cliffs separating off a higher elevated area which would be accessed by entering from another location. There will be at least one river running to the inlet with a few smaller streams feeding into it.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has used l3DT to similar effect and how it's worked out for you? Any tips or tricks you might suggest to someone else using this approach?

Even if from someone not using the program for that specific use but who has experience they feel would be useful, any advice, tips or suggestions otherwise would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
Wolfsong73

Re: Using L3DT for individual zone maps

Postby chieling » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:00 pm

sorry for the late post.

Im using L3DT for a MMO project and it works rather well. It has saved me tons of time vs using the T3D map creator. the biggest issue that Ive seen so far is that - depending on how you build your maps - youll spend a bit of time lining up the terrain on both maps. the newest T3D build makes that ALOT easier, but then again, i havent chked out the most recent version of L3DT either. from what im reading, this may or may not be a non issue anyways.
chieling
Contributing member

Return to General discussion