L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Seamless tiled exporter Support for T3D

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Seamless tiled exporter Support for T3D

Postby chieling » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:55 pm

I was playing with the "new" (new to me) Seamless tiled exporter (http://www.bundysoft.com/news/doku.php? ... 011:jun:22) that has been implemented. It looks GREAT! Is there, or is there goin to be an T3D export for this? I spent some time this evening playing with it and didnt see an option or way to make this work with the T3D export that you have now.
chieling
Contributing member

Re: Seamless tiled exporter Support for T3D

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi Chieling,

Thanks for the feedback. The new tiled exporter is designed for mesh files only, as these types of files (DAE, OBJ, X, 3DS, etc) have some pretty specific requirements that are not shared with heightfield-style files like Torque’s TER. Consequently, the new tiled mesh exporter is not compatible with Torque TER files.

That said, it is possible to export terrain as tiled sets of Torque TER files. To do this, use the still somewhat experimental ‘File->Export->Torque T3D->BESTA TEST->Export Torque MegaTerrain (v7)[/i]’ menu option. Please note that the tile size must be a power of two, i.e. 256, 512, 1024, etc. Smaller tile sizes are better, since T3D doesn’t support textures as super-large single tiles.

Please also note that, at least as far as I know, T3D doesn’t ‘automagically’ support tiled terrain. You will therefore have to load each TER tile into Torque manually.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion