L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

texture tile issue

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

texture tile issue

Postby rbadea » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Hello,

I made a terrain in L3DT importing an 16 bits .png heightmap (8192x8192). L3DT has generated the texture map ok as far as the climate goes but the texture has large and pixelated tiles. I tried to resize the horizontal scale up and down (1-10) so that the resolution will look ok but it looks just the same. If anyone knows how to solve this problem it will be much appreciated.

Thanks
rbadea

Re: texture tile issue

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi rbadea,

To reduce pixellation in the texture, you need to enable the 'make high-resolution textures' checkbox in the texture generation wizard, and set the texture resolution (TX/HF ratio) to the highest value that you can use in your game/project. Please note that higher texture resolutions result in larger texture images, and take longer to generate. If you're using the standard version, you're also limited to a maximum texture size of 2048x2048 pixels (for L3DT Pro, it's 2 million x 2 million). The user guide for the texture generator is here. You can also see the effect of increasing the texture resolution in this tutorial, where I show the same terrain generated with 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x and 32x resolution.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion