L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Height map greyscales.

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Height map greyscales.

Postby Nagual » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi, Just wonder if anyone can tell me what greyscale range the HM's are created with? I ask as the software I'm using (TESannwyn & Creation Kit) don't like ranges above 75% (Where 100 is black). Is there anyway to alter the HM greyscale factor at all in L3DT?

Cheers.
Nagual

Re: Height map greyscales.

Postby Nagual » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Having a quick think and what have you, I'm wondering is this the "manual scale" option in the RAW export options?
Nagual

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Nagual,

Heightfields in L3DT don't have a greyscale range per se, since they contain floating point data rather than integers. The greyscale range is only required when the heightmap is displayed or exported as an image. In such cases, L3DT by default scales the altitude range of the heightmap to span the full range of the greyscale format, with the lowest point being black (value = 0) and the highest point being white (value = 255 for 8-bit, 65535 for 16-bit, etc.)

Using the manual scale option you can get whatever scaling you like. However, it is quite a bit more difficult than is necessary. In the next build I will add a nicer user interface whereby you can set the minimum and maximum greyscale levels. I'll post back here when it's ready for testing.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby axxo1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:00 pm

That makes perfect sense.

Thanks Aaron.
axxo1

Return to General discussion