L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Heightmap help

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Heightmap help

Postby trollfiddler » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:09 am

Hi folks,

I'm trying to generate a landscape with moderately rolling countryside and the occasional medium sized mostly vertical mountain rising from it. If you imagine taking a couple of the mountains from DeathTwister's Icelandia scene and dropping them into a medium-hilly countryside basically.

Can anyone give me some approximate settings to use to generate such a thing please? I've tried a million combinations without success. I can get anything from gentle hills to spiky mountains and everything in between. But a mix of gently rolling with the odd sudden small mountain feature seems very difficult to get.

Appreciate any help or pointers,

Thanks a lot,

T.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:21 am

Hi Trollfiddler,

I'm sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. The bad news is that I don't think there is a setting that will automatically produce mountains sticking up from an otherwise rolling countryside map. Perhaps the easiest way to get what you want is to create a rolling countryside map (40% 'alt. range', 40% 'feature scale', 70% 'peak roughness', 30% 'erosion'), and then add to the design map some mountain peaks. This is done using the 'design map pencil' tool ('view->mouse tools->DM pencil'), by enabling the special overlay check, selecting a type of 'mountain', picking a param of 'large', and then clicking around the map wherever you might want a mountain. You could also add some height, roughness, cliffs, etc to those areas using the DM pencil if you so desire.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby trollfiddler » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks Aaron. I'd come to that conclusion myself. A bit much to hope for, you'd need some serious AI in the prog probably :-)

Cheers,

Dave.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Return to General discussion