L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Smoothing Terrain

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Smoothing Terrain

Postby Urlord » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:56 am

QUESTION #1

My terrain was a bit too bumpy (lots of little sharp hills).

What is the best way to go back and smooth all of it at once?

I don't want to erode the coastline, it is just the way I want it.

QUESTION #2

Can someone explain in a nutshell what the Alpha Layers does?
Peace,

Jim (aka Urlord)
WizardStorm.com

"With a Hammer and SQL, I can fix almost anything!"
Urlord

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:31 am

Hi Jim,

Question 1:

At the moment L3DT doesn't have much of a facility to post-process heightfields after the initial generation. What will work, to a degree, is to re-size the heightfield to something smaller (using operations->heightfield->resample map), and then to re-size again back to the original. The effect of this will be to do a linear blur of the map, but it wont affect the locations of coastlines &c.

Here is an example of a before and after sequence, where I've taken the heightfield down to 1/4 the size, then brought it back up again:

Before:

After:

You can see that most of the high-res noise is gone.

Question 2:

By alpha layers are you referring to the 'operation->alpha maps->generate maps' option? If so, I have a brief rundown of alpha maps here, a more fulsome discussion of their meaning and use here, and a user-guide on generating them over here. Basically, they are mask images used to create textures for objects 'on the fly' from a set of base textures. It's a trick commonly used in games these days. If, however, you meant something else by Alpha Layers, could you give me an idea of where you're looking?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion