L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

I need more information on climates

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

I need more information on climates

Postby demi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:08 am

I am trying to make a few new types of climate that will do a little better blending between different areas but I am kind of lost on how to accomplish the task. I copied the costal climate and modified it for separate grasses, dirt, rocks for each entry but the thing keeps bombing out because I don’t know what I’m doing exactly LOL I tried to blend desert areas with a modified climate and got the whole thing so messed up I ended up reinstalling the program.

Here is what I would like to do but just don’t know how to do it.

I want to blend the grassland to desert transition so there is not such a sharp contrast. I want to be able to use similar textures between say a forest area to grassland area, tropical area, swamp area and so on.

I hope this makes sense to you.

I am trying to use the information I have (which is wiki and the help documentation) but not grasping the concept. Could you give me a pointer to more information please?
demi
Oracle

Re: I need more information on climates

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Demi,

I'm sorry, I don't have any existing documentation for that. It's not something L3DT was really designed to do (although I do plan to fix this.) The main problem is that L3DT really has a concept that the land type is modal; that is to say, each point in the map is one and only one land type, and not, for instance, a blend of two or more.

One workaround would be to use L3DT's texture generator to blur the edges between different land types using anti-aliasing. It is however quite slow. Another approach would be for L3DT to support blending of materials over the texture map using mask maps. This could work, but I'll have to write some more code to test it.

Again, I apologise, but it seems this is not something L3DT can do for you just yet (at least, not easily.)

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: I need more information on climates

Postby demi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi Aaron,

No problem. I am more interested in making alpha maps by using the climate files to kind of blend it together. You have several different blends going on with the grass when you generate the texture with the only difference being the hue and intensity. I was taking these blends and trying to use them to generate alpha blends. The big problem was that when I try to make a actual color map the program crashes because I don’t have some texture blend.

What I want is to understand how the blends are being calculated so I can use different texture alphas on several different maps that have the identical land mass. and edit these alphas for blending them together.

The engine supports unlimited alphas but I am trying to keep it in 3 passes of 4 textures each.

I hope I made sense there.

D

EDIT: Oh I am injecting a noise patter into the 2 to 4 pass so they will blend
demi
Oracle

Return to General discussion