L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Small detailed terrain

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Small detailed terrain

Postby AlesK » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:53 am

Hello,
how to make terrain with small area, but huge in detail? I would use a normal map with great detail.
I am not the creator of video games, but I'm doing 3D animations(using Cinema 4D R14 and Blender), so I'm "not" limited resolution.
Maybe 24 gigabytes of RAM should be sufficient.
I tried to set a great resolution and small scale. (0.00001), high resolution for normal map, but the result is still not good. Still a large area with low detail.
When I set a medium resolution and huge resolution for normal maps, so I generate normal maps instead of vertical stripes. That is strange.
I am confused because L3DT use only one day. :)
I thought that would be generated terrain could go crop and regenerate the selected (small) area(EDIT: i find Crop function).
I do not know ... please advice.

Thank you very much

(sorry for my google english) :)

Around this result I want to achieve:

Problem with High-res normals for small area(with beta version):
AlesK

Re: Small detailed terrain

Postby AlesK » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:45 pm

He slowly coming as to how to work with it. :) I wish I never found a comprehensive videotutorial and introduction of workflow. Everywhere is just a simple automatic terrain for video games.
AlesK

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Alesk,

Oops, sorry for the stripy normals map. I made some changes in that beta release, and one of them broke the high-res normals maps. I've fixed that in the latest build, which is available now (v14.10 dev build 1). I don't have much time right now, but I'll try to answer your questions about high resolution terrains in the coming few days. Sorry for the delay.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby AlesK » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Thank you for quick fix the error! While trying different variations, but without much success. I thought the normal map should render the smallest details(erosion, cracks ..), it is still not doing well. For rendering using Cinema 4D render, or Octane render (height map + normal map). That should give good results, but unfortunately normal map is not as detailed as I would like. Details are blurred, so it looks just like the bitmap enlarged.
I discovered i "node editor", but yet I do not know how to use it...

I'll wait until you have time. So far, thank you! :wink:
AlesK

Postby ShadowIce » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:40 am

How did you make this? Is there an easy-to-use guide for achieving this type of high definition quality?
ShadowIce
Luminary

Return to General discussion