L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DTVi2 skybox tutorial

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

L3DTVi2 skybox tutorial

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:56 am

Hi All,

I've just bashed-together a little guide on how to change the sky background in L3DTVi2 using Terragen:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials:terragen:skybox

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Hell, it's in the wiki so you can even make modifications yourself!

Cheers,
Aaron.

Edit: I've uploaded a few more skyboxes to the examples download page:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/examples/
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Skyboxes

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:06 pm

ALL RIGHT WTG DUDE,

Wow thanks for getting this Tut up and the extra resources. Your the man.

Hay I have a questain though, do you ever do walk abouts in the terrains that you make and build? I do and almost ran off the road the other day, /chuckles to self.

Will get back and share some stuff here soon. I have a ton of Skyboxes I have made in Bryce and Terragen so am looking forward to playing in your sandbox.

I have some skyboxes on our website as free downloads on our web site under our free textures page. All the Skyboxes we made for Torque-TGE and TSE latest builds but easy to adapt.

I need to figure out your naming conventions as I didn't quite get it right last night when I tried just renaming them puppies. I got 2 that seemed to be wrong so will look at the Tut.

Also I noticed in the skybox folder that you don't have the number 7 graphic that is used for the reflection in the water and on surfaces. EXAMPLE is one on my download site.

Do you plan to add that as well I hope so it goes 1-throgh 7 in the skyboxes order? I not asking for the clouds that drift by, TSE is good to make em do that there, but it would help to have the Skies you want in here when making the terrains to get the right feeling for the mission/zones. Well having said all that I go do your Tut and see what I didn't need to ask hahahahahaha....feels good to be on-board.

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Re: Skyboxes

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:10 am

Hi DeathTwister,

DeathTwister wrote:Hay I have a questain though, do you ever do walk abouts in the terrains that you make and build? I do and almost ran off the road the other day, /chuckles to self.

Not really; but my head does sometimes get carried away by programming stuff. I don't actually use L3DT much any more, other than to test that it works. I probably should take a month off from programming to just play with L3DT and get a better user perspective, but I've got a few too many things to do right now.

DeathTwister wrote:I have some skyboxes on our website as free downloads on our web site under our free textures page. All the Skyboxes we made for Torque-TGE and TSE latest builds but easy to adapt.

Cool. Care to shoot us a link? I'll add it to the useful resources section of the wiki.

DeathTwister wrote:I need to figure out your naming conventions as I didn't quite get it right last night when I tried just renaming them puppies. I got 2 that seemed to be wrong so will look at the Tut.

I think it's OpenGL's axis convention, where z is forwards, x is to the right, and y is up (I prefer y forwards, x right and z up, but that's another story). In L3DTVi2, this means that posz.jpg (positive in z direction) is the north image, negz is south, posx is east, negx is west, posy is up, and negy is down.

DeathTwister wrote:Also I noticed in the skybox folder that you don't have the number 7 graphic that is used for the reflection in the water and on surfaces. EXAMPLE is one on my download site.

Yah. L3DTVi2 doesn't do reflections, so I didn't make that image.

DeathTwister wrote:Do you plan to add that as well I hope so it goes 1-throgh 7 in the skyboxes order?

Erm. Probably not any time soon. I mean, I could make the extra image, but L3DTVi2 is not going to get reflection mapping. Unless someone wants to hack the code appropriately?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

SkyBoxes

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:47 am

Hay again,

Wow, I do have fun sometimes. I have made a few SkyBoxes and I thought I would share one at least with you all that may be diferent then the ones you all are useing.

I just cut them down some to show, I will make some better ones rfor the gallery here in a day or 2, but I want to take out the pixulation that the non-antialiasing is doing first. ROTFL Kinda like painting a real painting after all is said and done when you get right down to it....../chuckles to self.

if you like this Sky (PurpleHaze) You can get it here for free. I like to share...
http://theatomizer.com/downloads/skybox.zip

The other Sky I made a bit ago looks like this:

I still wish the water could have reflections in it from the Sky. I did add the 7th Sky witch is the Sky reflect map so you can rename the skies and bring it into Torque as well.

And of course I wish there was some antialiasing as you can see from the edges of the terrain.

But dang I like this program. Ok, I will post some Graphics for the gallery as soon as I get some of these terrains into TSE and can get photo's of the new mission lvls I want to do.

DeathTwister
Quantum Psychics is the future of man, as he stands up and takes stock of his mind. he can for the first time build a new reality.
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Hinklemister » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Nice. Those skyboxes look great. I can't wait to see how they look in torque. Reflection almost always looks better.

-Hinklemister
I'm 17 years old and make games!
Hinklemister
Contributing member

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 am

Hay all,

Woot found a ton of Tuts here :lol: so I am working and learning. don't know bout the programmer tweaks as meza a artist not a proramer but woot dang I like this program. HAha feels good to use my art tablet again.

OK I found all kinds of stuff I wanted to know so I will take it all in and then post new Terrain Art. I still don't see that upload butten you told me about on the user art page, but I'll find it when I am ready bro.

Maylock oops DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to General discussion