L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Bump-mapped lighting

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Bump-mapped lighting

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:48 am

Hi everyone,

I've finished the implementation of bump-mapping for the light-map generation. You can see some of the preliminary results here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/gallery.php
(note I've since improved the blending at edges, which is still quite rough in this example)

The speed penalty is minimal, so I'm planning on making this an on-by-default feature in L3DT Professional. I find it to be particularly useful for high-resolution light-maps, as the bump-maps provide nice detail that would otherwise be lacking.

Anyway, this addition requires a small change to the climate files, as each land type now has some settings for bump maps (similar to texture settings). I'll sort all this out over the coming week.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:32 am

Well done indeed. I looked at the one with no bumpmapping, but I thought it was supposed to have it. Said to myself "well.. this doesn't look any different at all..." thought maybe the other would look better.. When I opened it the words "holy shit!" litterally burst out of my mouth.

Very nice
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:18 am

Thanks dEaThMaStEr, I'm glad you like it.

The blending in the previous images was a little rough at the edges, but I've fixed that up now. You can see the results on the algorithms page:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/algorithm ... hp#bumpmap

In the new images I've also toned the effect down a little, as I think it was a tad overdone in the original set. This will all be configurable via the climate files, of course.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Hinklemister » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:15 pm

That looks really nice. And I don't have school today so I'm able to use it right away! The speed with which you've been releasing updates is awe-inspiring. Great Job! :D

-Hinklemister
I'm 17 years old and make games!
Hinklemister
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Whoa there Hinklemister,

I haven't released the update yet (sorry to disappoint). I think I'll need another day or so to finish upgrading all the climate files, and to make sure there aren't any bugs.

Cheers,
Aaron
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:01 pm

hehe.. You knoww.. Something that could really help for some of your testings and small things like that would be to sort of pick beta tester kind of people. You know, get a few people who can test it all out in all sorts of ways and TRY to find any bugs and report anything to you. That way you get tests from different people who try all sorts of different things and saves you the time and worry. Then once they report anything big to you and its all sorted, you can release.

Who knows, maybe would be good to consider. *hint hint* ;)
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:35 am

Hi dEaThMaStEr,

That's kind of what I'm trying to do by releasing updates as quickly as I have of late, and I don't think I can go very much faster. However, following release 2.4 I will be aiming for less frequent but very stable and polished updates, and at that point I will probably institute another beta programme as you suggest.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion