L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

3D Viewer crashing

Got a problem or need advice?

3D Viewer crashing

Postby roto23 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:16 pm

When I click the icon I get this warning... (I am retying warning message from a screen shot)

Cslandscape::InitLanscape warning:
- setting patch size to 32 to accommdate 4x texture with 128 tile size.
- for better performance, please consider increasing the texture tile size.

Any suggestions?
roto23

Postby roto23 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:43 pm

I also like to add that I wnet back and made the high resolution 1 to 1 (not 4 to 1) and it still crashed.

I have the latest D3Dxx dll's

I tried uninstalling the recent dev build and replacing it with the last production build and running the tutorial without high resolution and it still crashed.
roto23

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Roto,

I apologise for this inconvenience. Can you please send me the logfile? (to aaron@bundysoft.com). You can get to the logfile from the start menu, under:

Code: Select all
Start->All Programs->Bundysoft->L3DT [version]->L3DT logs

The logfile is called 'log.txt'.

Crashes in Sapphire generally indicate driver problems. Do you have an ATI graphics card by any chance? If so, it may be that you have the recent buggy version of ATI's OpenGL drivers, which were discussed here. These drivers were fixed in mid-December, so if you have not updated your catalyst drivers since then, I would urge you to do so now.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:00 am

Hi Roto,

Thanks for the logfile. I build a map using your exact project settings, with the following results:

Obviously I didn't experience any crashing in the 3D viewer, nor any other errors. As no-one else has reported any such problem with the latest version, I suspect this is an OpenGL/NVIDIA driver bug. However, I will add some more debugging code to the front-end of Sapphire to see if we can track down the point where the crash occurs on your system. I'll post back here when the new build is ready for testing.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: Oops, I nearly forgot. Could I ask you to download and run the 'OpenGL Extension Viewer' by realtech VR? (see here for links, guide). If you would be so kind as to send me the report it generates, it may greatly help in determining the cause of this crash.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Roto,

My my, I am forgetful today: Could you also try the 'Scripts->Sapphire debug' menu option in L3DT? This tests OpenGL features one-by-one. Please note that it will require you to generate the water map, which your project didn't seem to include.

I have also uploaded a new developmental build of L3DT Professional for you to test (v2.7.0.2), which will write some additional logging information when Sapphire starts up. This version is now on the pro downloads page, the link to which you will find in your your sales receipt e-mail. If (or rather, when) it crashes, please send me the L3DT logfile again, and I should be able to close-in on which OpenGL calls are causing the problem. If this turns out to be a driver bug I may not be able to do anything about it, but I'll keep trying until I know that for sure.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby roto23 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:39 am

Updating the drivers as you suggested worked. I was hesitant to do that, since about a year ago the update made my monitor worse, but I saw they had a march 9th (last week) release so I went for it. Thanks for the help
roto23

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:39 am

Hi Roto,

Bravo. I'm glad that's all sorted. Please let me know if you find any further problems, or if you would like to make any suggestions.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support