Large 3D terrain generator

SID error

Got a problem or need advice?

SID error

Postby Navotex » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 am

Every time I start up the program I get this message in my event log

CL3DTApp::GetSID error:
- cannot write SID file 'C:\Users\THOMAS~1\AppData\Local\Temp\L3DT\sid.dat'

The program seems to work fine if I close this message but I am not sure if this could ultimately cause more problems,
or if it is one already.
Attachments
error.png
event log
Navotex

Re: SID error

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Dear Navotex,

I apologise for this fault, and thank your for the bug report. I have uploaded a new developmental build (v17.11 build 1) which should fix this problem, or else provide a more meaningful error message to explain why the session index file couldn't be created. The new dev build installer is on the downloads page now. If you're using L3DT Pro, please consult your trial/purchase receipt e-mail for the URL. If you're using L3DT Standard, the installer is here.

FYI this SID fault shouldn't cause problems unless you're running multiple instances of L3DT at the same time.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Vasko » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi Aaron, what kind of problems does it cause when you're running multiple instances of L3DT at the same time? I've been doing that occasionally.
Vasko

Postby Aaron » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi Vasko,

I don't recall the definitive list of problems that may be caused by running multiple sessions, but some that spring to mind are:
  • Settings or resource corruption due to overlapped reading/writing of files. Simultaneous startups or shutdowns are particularly dangerous, especially during plugin loading.
  • CPU/memory exhaustion, as the multithreading and large map sizes in L3DT Pro can saturate all cores on the computer and run very high memory loads. Running two such instances is probably not disastrous, but is still ill advised.
  • The possibility of two instances working on the same map file(s). Since L3DT Pro pages map data to disk, it is likely that two instances of L3DT working on the same files will overwrite one another's data when working in the background, with unpleasant results.
For these reasons, the more recent versions of L3DT stop multiple sessions from running (or at least, they're supposed to).

Would you mind describing the use case where you find it useful to run multiple instances of L3DT at the same time? I'm genuinely curious.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support