L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Increase heightmap size?

Got a problem or need advice?

Increase heightmap size?

Postby cring0 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:38 am

Is there a way to take my existing terrain, which is a 1024x1024 mesh/hm, and increase it to a 4096x4096 mesh/hm WITHOUT stretching my current heightmap to fit the new size, keeping my current terrain in the center perhaps. That way I can simply ADD to my terrain without screwing up what I already have? I tried looking around, I may just be searching using the wrong keywords..

I could try exporting the current 1024 hm I have now as a BMP and throwing it into a 4096 and reimporting that BMP into L3DT as a heightfield, but I'm thinking that will lead to the terrain being misconstrued in some way, stepping etc. There's probably already a way to do this and it's sitting here right in front of me..
cring0

Re: Increase heightmap size?

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi Cring0,

Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately, there is no nice way to do this in L3DT, but I could cobble something together depending on exactly what you need.

If you just want to copy the existing heightfield into the middle of a larger, otherwise empty heightfield, like that shown below, then that can be arranged by a simple script.

temp1_insert.png

If you are content to generate all of the surrounding heightfield using manual brush tools, then that script should be sufficient.

However, if you want L3DT to generate matching terrain around the outside, that is a much harder problem. Is that what you seek?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Increase heightmap size?

Postby cring0 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 am

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Yes, I simply wanted to move my existing 1024x1024 to a different place on both x & y axis within a larger 4096x4096 EMPTY terrain. However, I was making this for Arma 3 and realized I could do it with their tools. I was able to simply import the previous 1024 terrain and move it over top a new 4096 empty terrain and then rebuild it and it merged it.

Maybe my case is unique, but I would imagine that would be useful in general to have such a script.

Thanks for your great software and your help over the years! It has really helped. I'm constantly moving back and forth between Arma's tools and L3DT. Much appreciated!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1060191411
cring0

Return to Help and support