L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Sand on beaches?

Got a problem or need advice?

Sand on beaches?

Postby cring0 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:36 am

I don't remember having this issue in the past. For whatever reason, when I run the calculation wizard to generate my ground texture mask and satellite map, I can't get beach sand to stop at the correct altitude.

It was placing sand about 10-20m above sea level by default. So I started tinkering with numbers, and I got sand to meet exactly at sea level, but I just want it about 2m above sea level and no matter what I change it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Attachments
l3dtbeaches.jpg
cring0

Re: Sand on beaches?

Postby cring0 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 pm

I was trying to adjust MAXDEPTH in the water table settings and couldn't get an accurate result. I changed the sea level and finally got what I needed.
cring0

Re: Sand on beaches?

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Cring0,

To restrict the altitude of the sand, open the land type editor, go to the parameters tab, enable the 'max alt' checkbox, and set it to the altitude you want, like so:

sand_lt_editor.png

With the exception of snow, I usually don't set altitude ranges for land types because users are free to place water at any elevation (not just sea level), and the default climates have to cope with this. Instead of altitude ranges, the distribution of sand is usually governed by the depth of the water table, which is in turn dependent on the proximity to the water's edge (along with a set of other parameters). 20m does seem a bit high, though...

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support