L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Image overlay in sapphire

Got a problem or need advice?

Image overlay in sapphire

Postby alsing » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi, i was just wondering if there was a way to put an image on top when editing the heightfield in sapphire just to use as reference when making part of my map?

Thanks in advance! :)
alsing

Re: Image overlay in sapphire

Postby Aaron » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:52 am

Hi Alsing,

Yes indeed there is.

There's an example of how to use an image as a texture overlay in the 'making roads' tutorial here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php? ... s:template

The basic process is this:

1. Load the image into your project using 'File->Import->New map layer' in the L3DT menu.
  2. Then, in Sapphire, select 'Options->Terrain->Select texture...' (the tutorial linked above has the old menu link here, this is the new one).
  3. You'll then want to enable runtime lighting using 'Options->Lighting->Runtime lighting over texture'. Otherwise, the terrain will appear flat, and will be difficult to edit.
  4. Lastly, Sapphire will by default edit the heightield in polygon mode, without showing the texture overlay. To force Sapphire to show the texture when editing the heightifeld, select 'View->Textured' in the sapphire menu, or else press the 'tex mode' toolbar button in Sapphire. You may need to do this every time you enter/leave heightfield editing mode.

Please let me know if you find any problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support