L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Unable to open dtm.tif

Got a problem or need advice?

Unable to open dtm.tif

Postby liteglow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi

I have tested many times, with many different setting from my laser scanned height map data.
but I cant open any files in L3DT.

Can someone try to open my file ?

I use this site to collect my data (the data have a height precision at 0,25 m)

https://hoydedata.no/LaserInnsyn/

thank you for all help
liteglow

Re: Unable to open dtm.tif

Postby liteglow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:40 pm

I manage to download a smaller file so I could upload it here.
liteglow

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi Liteglow,

I apologise for this inconvenience. If you can upload or send to me (aaron@bundysoft.com) a small example file, I should be able to fix TIF importer pretty quickly.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby liteglow » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 am

Aaron wrote:Hi Liteglow,

I apologise for this inconvenience. If you can upload or send to me (aaron@bundysoft.com) a small example file, I should be able to fix TIF importer pretty quickly.

Best regards,
Aaron.

You got a small file (1mb ) the other files I have is 25mb.
I would really like this to work, as the map provider have extremly detailed height information, and it would be nice to import this information into UE4 and create a real world landscape :)

Thank you for help
liteglow

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi Liteglow,

Thanks for the file. I'm a little vexed by this one, and I think I'm going to have to do a little more investigating to understand this file. As best I can tell, it reports a width of 215 pixels and a height of 160 pixels, all stored as one tile*. However, it also states the tile size is 512x512 pixels, and the file size is consistent with the tile size (i.e. 512x512), and not with the reported height and width. However, file explorer & various image editors all agree that the image is 215x160 pixels.

My guess then, which I'll test at my next opportunity, is that there are 215x160 pixels of map data in a padded 512x512 pixel plane; the padding was presumably added to provide a nice tile size for one application or another. I'll test this at my next opportunity (hopefully tomorrow).

Best regards,
Aaron.

* Incidentally, I was reading the file offset wrongly for single-tile maps, causing one of the errors you observed. This has been fixed for the next build, when available.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby liteglow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:52 am

Any news on this ?

You can test yourself and see if you manage to export a file from this site:

https://hoydedata.no/LaserInnsyn/ you can change langue to English at the top right corner.

cheers
liteglow

Postby liteglow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Can L3DT open .LAZ files ?
liteglow

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Liteglow,

Sorry, I've not had enough free item yet to modify and test the TIFF importer. I'll let you know the moment I have an update ready for you to try. I apologise for the delay. Oh, and thank-you for the link to hoydedata.no; that looks like a very impressive resource, and I have downloaded a dataset to test compatibility as you suggested.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby liteglow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 am

Aaron wrote:Hi Liteglow,

Sorry, I've not had enough free item yet to modify and test the TIFF importer. I'll let you know the moment I have an update ready for you to try. I apologise for the delay. Oh, and thank-you for the link to hoydedata.no; that looks like a very impressive resource, and I have downloaded a dataset to test compatibility as you suggested.

Best regards,
Aaron.

Hi again :) ok, no problem take your time, was not my intention to ask you to rush it :)
liteglow

Postby Aaron » Fri May 04, 2018 3:22 am

Hi Liteglow,

I'm really sorry for the delay. Unfortunately, the TIFF files I downloaded from hoydedata.no have internal compression (LZW, I think). L3DT's TIFF importer does not support compression, so those files will either need to be re-extracted without compression (if that's an option, but I can't find it), or else laundered through other software that can read compressed GeoTIFF and export uncompressed. You may know of newer software, but back in the day I used VTBuilder by Ben Discoe to convert GeoTIFF files (link below). VTBuilder also exports the Virtual Terrain Project Binary Terrain (.bt) files, which L3DT reads as a native format.

http://vterrain.org/Doc/VTBuilder/overview.html

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support