L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Strange noise

Got a problem or need advice?

Strange noise

Postby messy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:15 pm

for some reason the program has started generating maps with weird noise all over it. This is happening on two completely separate computers at all sizes from 1024 to 8192. Consistently every time regardless of settings.

- it wasn't doing this before, and idea whats causing this?
Attachments
noise.png
messy

Re: Strange noise

Postby messy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:14 pm

has no one ever seen this? I have altered every setting I can think of/find and its always there now.

I tried re-installing but no effect.
messy

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi Messy,

Sorry for the delay. I'm not quite sure I know. Could you please send me your project's map definition file (*.def.xml) to aaron@bundysoft.com? With these settings, I should be able to reproduce and diagnose the problem.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby messy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 am

sent, cheers
messy

Postby messy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 am

did you receive it ok?
messy

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi Messy,

Yes, thanks, I did receive the files. The noise is due to small cliffs and terraces generated as a result of the small but non-zero setting you used for the cliffs/terraces overlays (16/100), which are being highlighted because all other terrain effects (i.e. fractal noise, erosion) have been turned off. If you turn off the cliffs/terraces altogether, the effect goes away.

Here is the map with cliffs/terraces = 16:
cliffs16_mini.jpg

..and the same map with cliffs/terraces = 0:
nonoise_mini.jpg

Note in the second image, where I have all heightfield effects turned off, you can still see some slight pinprick-like noise. This is an artifact of the diamond/square fractal algorithm that occurs when the fractal roughness is small or zero. Some mild erosion will erase this noise. Alternatively, the 'Operations->Heightfield->Smooth [curvature]' function should wipe out any remaining noise.

For completeness, here is the same location of the same map, where the default strengths have been used for erosion, cliffs/terraces, and noise settings:
default_mini.jpg

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby messy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:41 am

brilliant! the bar very much looks like its at zero but i just had to carefully poke it a bit further home :D

thanks very much
messy

Return to Help and support