L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Importing my H map to TSE, need help

Got a problem or need advice?

Postby trollfiddler » Mon May 29, 2006 4:23 pm

Great stuff, the directory was going to be my next suggestion after reading that your changes weren't making any difference. It had to be that. I was also going to send you a texture that I knew was the right size so you could make sure you were using the right directory. Saved me the bother. Good man :-) Great to hear it's all working for you now.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby trollfiddler » Mon May 29, 2006 6:29 pm

Aaron, I've tarted up the tutorial a bit. Let me know if it makes sense.

Thanks,

T.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Mon May 29, 2006 7:49 pm

Hay all,

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL,

Well I have a terrain in now and here is a quick screen shot to show that I actually did it, I can hardly believe it, yuk yuk . :roll:

As you can see I have issues with my texture at the moment, but at least I have it in now and the rest is tweaking, and judging but what I see, tweaking one hell of allot.

HEHE I'll get it, take a bit but I'll get this puppy to look like what I have in Terragen or the L3DT viewer.

I have questains but I want to think about them before I post next. One thing I think I did wrong was I flipped the texture file 180 degrees so I didn't have to mess with flipping the .raw file, but I can see that was a mistake. So I will go back and hunt the Tut I saw on that part and see if I can get a fix to start out with on that fopaw.

Question: does the texture file get better Rez on the landscape if it is bigger size, or smaller? I thought it would be better rez if I took it up to 4096, instead of the smaller size that was default in L3dt FOR EXPORT??

Our console log is all messed up, the water block is all messed up, Texture all messed up, but all in all I am a happy camper today, a small step forward.

At least I have forward motion now /winks.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby trollfiddler » Mon May 29, 2006 10:15 pm

Aaron should be able to confirm one way or the other, but in the latest version of L3DT I don't flip the texture or the heightfield. They seem to work just fine.

Either :-

1) Neither one is flipped by the export in which case you are OK or
2) Both are flipped by the export. In which case you would need to flip both of them yourself if you wanted them back the original way.

All I know is that if I don't flip anything, the texture matches the terrain mesh perfectly. I think the flip business was from an older version.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue May 30, 2006 7:45 am

Hi Trollfiddler,

trollfiddler wrote:Aaron, I've tarted up the tutorial a bit. Let me know if it makes sense.

Yup, it looks great. Thanks a bunch.

trollfiddler wrote:Aaron should be able to confirm one way or the other, but in the latest version of L3DT I don't flip the texture or the heightfield. They seem to work just fine.

Hmmm...I always have trouble remembering which applications require an axis flip and which don't. Basically, if the texture looks crazy, with sandy beach on the side of a mountain, then the texture needs to be flipped.

trollfiddler wrote:I think the flip business was from an older version.

Hmmm...could be. I don't think I've changed the default axis orientation in L3DT for a long time (maybe 3 years?), but my memory could be fading.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby trollfiddler » Tue May 30, 2006 9:41 am

Hmm, strange. I know that on the GG web site the tutorial from a while back says to make the flip. But if I do that things don't match up. if I don't do it then all the little shelves of grass are on the ledges of hills as they should be, and all the beaches and things are in the right place.

It could be that the whole map is reoriented (tex and mesh), I haven't checked that, as so far it hasn't mattered to me. But it will in a short while when a new tool is released that can stitch the maps together. So I guess I'll find out then.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Tue May 30, 2006 1:06 pm

KEWL,

Ok, well that makes sence as it don't work the way the GG Tut told me 2, ROTFL...... OK then re-exporting it out again should be no biggie, I am starting to get this down I have tried it so many times ROTFL.

OOH and I also changed the scale in the screens from 2 on the scale size to a 10 and that brought the height up to ablout where I wanted the mountains to be. Well starts the big tweak hahahahahahahaaaaaaa......I am also thinking of upping the tree depth from 6 to around 12 or so to get better mesh and less pollygons sticking out. As I said the big tweak begins.....ROTFL.

Thanks so much for everyones help.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Wed May 31, 2006 7:30 am

Hi Trollfiddler,

trollfiddler wrote:Hmm, strange. I know that on the GG web site the tutorial from a while back says to make the flip. But if I do that things don't match up. if I don't do it then all the little shelves of grass are on the ledges of hills as they should be, and all the beaches and things are in the right place.

Well, there's a goodly chance it's just my memory turning to mush then. I may well have had an inverted-by-default RAW-exporter some time in the past, if not quite recently. If so, then I mustn't have documented the change anywhere, which is a bit naughty though not exactly uncommon.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed May 31, 2006 4:28 pm

Hay guys,

Ok, /chuckles,.... I am glad that Aaron even if he forgot, that he had programmed it in such a way that we do not have to do anything now for exporting our terrains into TSE, or TGE for that matter as a .ter file. That helps, and I am sure that the over 100,000 users of GG's "TGE and TSE engines" will like that feature as well. When the word gets out that is /winks.

That grass idea of bringing it in to make it bump is a great idea if it can be done and maybe even make file sizes smaller in game? as well?

OK on to my ongoing troubles with TSE, ROTFL hahahahahahaha. I thought I would post this here as opposed to GG, maybe get a better or faster responce and I was sure where to post this there either. I think maybe under there atlas blog? anyway here will do for now.

A picture is worth a thousand words they say so I will share lots of graphics for this part of the post to show everyone what I am talking about.

In the first Graphic I have imported and generated a chunk file with square size of 10 thinking that was the right one.
And the rest size 1024, tree depth of 6,
and error metric of 2,
and height of 2634 which I got in L3DT.

But when I brought it in, the world is huge, and the textures are in no way accurate and match up to the terrain at all, even though I had un-flipped the graphic from my foPaw from last shots.

Here is a shot of what I mean.
Example 1:

and example 2:
as you can see the textures do not match up and I am not sure why exactly. But I also got some nice stuff with the detail map I made for close up, but I was surprised to see that the farther away you see the worse the texture is, and I want to fix that somehow. But I am suspecting that it is the paging/LOD that the TSE ATLAS uses? and if that is so how do I adjust that little feature?

So still thinking all this is me, (but of course) I went back in and played with the Square size of the file, and tried 4, a 2 and then one like you said.
Using square size 4 seemed to look the best and the zone seemed more like what I thought it should be for a 10m (square miles?) square world.

But 2 things I am having trouble with still, one is the terrain height that it is showing is way to high for the size that I know is write and not sure how to adjust that?
Example3:

The terrain just goes up to fast and something not right, but I don't know what I am doing wrong here. The texture is closer to what it should be, but still not right or lined up right for me.
Example 4:
in fact the farther you look away, the worse the textures look. For some reason I thought it would be the other way around. Looks great close up to me though.
Example 5:
The middle ground textures aren't to bad either, and it does seem to be LOD related so what do I do?
I tried to make the square size both 2 and 1, but the height was so bad that it just didn't look right at all. I noticed when Trollfiddler was talking, he said that the height was almost flat at 1, not with mine. I should post later a shot of that one.

So that takes me to the error metric parameter. I have had it set to 2. What exactly does that field do? Can I use it to adjust the texture/elevation on the map somehow? Not sure what I am asking here actually, a way to fix what I want I guess :roll:

So I need to get the texture to fit right, and I need to get the size to be better in relation to what I see in L3DT or Terragen and what I see in TSE when I am inside it. One sec, I will go generate a shot from way above to finish my plight in endeavors.
OK here is a screen of way up looking down. As you can see the textures are not lining up and the mountains are way to high.

Example 6:
Ok those mountains should be half the height that they should be, and of course I need to get the textures to line up right.

If I go to square size 2 or 1 the height is even worse, so..... HELP Mr. WIZARDS I need your help.... HAHAHAhahahahaha ROTFL. That is if anyone can help me????????? dang so close and no cigar yet /chuckles...

Also I lost my water block and spawn point, but I can make new ones, but until I get the terrain figured out it is not to important yet, then I can figure out what I did to the rest of the scene and get my skies in ecetra ecetra.....Whew... rotfl..thanks in advance for any help or advice.
In closing here are the 2 entries I submitted in the compitition and they are good examples of the scale I need here.
Entries

I want my world in TSE to look as good as those shots there or as close to it as I can get. So any help I can get will be wonderful.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:21 pm

Doh,

Was this forum here before? I don't remember it from before or would have posted here. :roll: :oops: dang how could I miss this section? wo, need more coffee I guess.

Again thanks for any help I can get here in advance. I will go over Trolls Tut again to see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong, and hopfully get a fix on it. If not I guess I'll post on GG, but rather get help here. You guys are more fun to play with then GG some times /chuckles.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi DT,

DeathTwister wrote: Was this forum here before? I don't remember it from before or would have posted here. :roll: :oops: dang how could I miss this section? wo, need more coffee I guess.

Do you mean the 'help and support' forum? It's been here since the start.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help and support