L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

How do I export .ter and the swf/TGW file into TGE?

Got a problem or need advice?

How do I export .ter and the swf/TGW file into TGE?

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:01 pm

Hay all,

OK I am on a different tangent atm here.
I am pretty sure I know how to get the .ter file into the TGE engine, but I haven't a clue as to how to get the srf/.TGW file in as a surface map I made in Terragen using the textures I made here in L3DT. Added a bunch of layers and got a very cool looking terrain now with everything the way I want it.

Now I need to figure out how to bring it ll in to the TGE engine. I am doing the same terrain to both the TSE and the TGE engine right now. My main problem is I think being able to get the map in without it tiling at all for the TGE one.

Anyone have any links to that? on GG? or here? got the TSE one figured somewhat. Now I need the TGE one now and I couldn't find anything on the Terragen forum. Man that forum is all over the place and not very organized it seemed to me anyway. Very cool place though to visit.

Thanks for the help if anyone knows where they can point me or give the info I need.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:40 pm

hey DT, I am not sure what TSE/TGE needs for a file, but a common mistake that I have seen on TerraNuts (great place to get terragen related info) is that some people think that the srf file is an image, but it is not it is more like the .cli file, and the terrain textures are rendered from there. If TSE/TGE needs an image similiar to L3DT's texture you can do an orthographic render. To set it up go to Rendering Control>Camera Settings, just to the right of center is a check box "orthographic" check that and then click auto setup. This will set the camera pov, though you may want to double check that it is minus -90 pitch in the camera orientation box on the rendering control window.
The only downfall with this is your atmo settings will affect the ortho's appearence(a hazy halo spreading out from the center to the edges) . I use the atmo settings to set the simple haze and atmospheric blue settings all to zero. Also shadows will be burnt into the terrain unless you uncheck terrain and clouds cast shadows in the lighting conditions tab (the sun).
You can then render any size timage you want, but as you are most likely using a square terrain the image has to be square in order for it to all show up.
Hope this helps, if TSE/TGE needs an image to texture the terrain, otherwise I have no idea.. good luck and keep plugging away at all the hardwork. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:21 pm

Yup Yup,

Well that was my next work around what you were saying from the post Seerblue, and yes I do understand that the TGW file isn't a terrain texture persay, but I can swear I have seen or read something about TGE in there forums about importing a TGW file into TGE somewhere, but I can't find it now.
Maybe my bad, and yes, "Sigh" that is the other fix I can do, but if that is the case I will stick to the L3DT base textures ( am working with now, as it is much better in my opinion.
If I could get all the multi-layers in, now that would be awesome. I was making 3-4 textures in L3DT and then layering them and taking the textures and using Terragens surface tool and getting awesome results was all. Was having fun with the strata tool as well. BTW< WOO HOO for strata now in L3DT, was almost like Aaron was reading my mind when he released it, almost scary. :lol:

OK I have to figure out the bug report I made, and need to make sure it was a bug, and begenning to worry I was stupid again, errr doh der.
So getting screens together now I am back from town.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby JavaJones » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:20 am

.tgw files hold values for proprietary algorithms in Terragen. So even if someone figured out a way to import a .tgw, the results would never be the same as Terragen since the algorithms are only available in Terragen itself. Thus the only way to get the texture looking the way it does in TG is to do as Seer advised and render an ortho-based texture. However this will be severely resolution limited. TG doesn't like rendering above about 11,000x11,000 :D

Also what Terragen forum did you check that was so bad?

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:40 pm

Hay Java,

JavaJones wrote:.tgw files hold values for proprietary algorithms in Terragen. So even if someone figured out a way to import a .tgw, the results would never be the same as Terragen since the algorithms are only available in Terragen itself. Thus the only way to get the texture looking the way it does in TG is to do as Seer advised and render an ortho-based texture.

Ok I thought that maybe that would have been to easy :roll: but I have seen some pretty good inroads on some stuff, and as I said I could have sworn I saw something somewhere, but at the time I was TSE bent and passed over it. And yes I may make a map the way Seer suggested and then layer that map on top of the L3DT generated map and then make that layer about 40-60% transparent or so and it would give an added bump like texture if I do it right. I was just wondering if there was a faster cheaper way to do it. Guess not :cry: haha

JavaJones wrote:Also what Terragen forum did you check that was so bad?

Oh I checked a few out, and it was just confusing to me for some reason. It was just me probably, I was having a bad day that day and yesterday for that matter and things just weren't going the way I had planned. ROTFL :lol: :oops:

So I guess for TGE then I do it the old fashion way and just bring the actual texture tiles in and hand splat it to my tastes. I do like that paint tool that is in there, it's fun now we have a palette of 8 textures. But was hoping to put in a none-tiled Texture for the base texture and it tiles by default. Ok thanks for the help, I will get the info I need then on GG, or spin the dials until I get what I want. /winks 8)

I'll post some goodies when I get it worked out for yaz all.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:58 pm

WOW,

Is help and support a new area to post? I sure don't remember seeing that area to post in before. HEHE KEWL. OK to finish up here a bit.

You guys are right about me making a texture from Terragen I think as when I have all the various textures I have made for the terrain I made I had 8 textures from L3DT to over lay into the Surface textures in Terragen, and I got some awesome results I think. So I guess I will make a texture in Terragen and then over lay it on to the texture from L3DT in photo shop and get the transparencies the right depth and then bring them into TSE and TGE until I can figure out the shaders and how to get a look that is closer to what I am posting here in the pictures. I really want to be able to have the terrain look as good as these shots and what I am striving for. so if anyone has any thoughts to help me get there speak up please I could use the help. Other then that I will post as I make my breakthroughs to keep you all posted.

Here are 2 screens of ScorpiousMons Mystical:

As you can see the textures is getting pretty good I think for a realistic look and feel, which is where I am trying to get to in the end.

God I love L3DT. Now if there just was a way to get the terrain textures to look in engine as good as the terrain does, we would be cooking with a full deck here I am thinking. KK back to the drawing board for now as I work on my issues Te He. Next posts will be inside engine, TSE and or TGE. Thanks for all the advice guys you are awesome dudes. I was just hoping for a easy fix :roll: :oops: :? :idea: :idea: :idea:

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi DeathTwister,

Bravo! I'm very impressed by the realism and overall vibe you've achieved with these renders. Keep up the good work, and good luck with TSE!

DeathTwister wrote:Is help and support a new area to post? I sure don't remember seeing that area to post in before.

It's been here from the start ;)

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby SeerBlue » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:30 pm

the render's are looking good, best of luck with getting it into your game engine, can't wait to see some pics from that. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Return to Help and support