L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Importing an image

Got a problem or need advice?

Importing an image

Postby M1013828 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Im trying to get another image into my attributes map.

I curently have a 24K Atrrib map, tiled to 2k PNGs (12X12 144 tiles)

I also have a seperate 24k image of what was once a shapefile of roads that i want to merge with my attributes map. short of tiling the image with 3rd party software and manually pasting the roads over all 144 tiles, is their a waty to merge the Large image with my Tiled attributes map?
M1013828

Re: Importing an image

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi M1013828,

Sorry, L3DT doesn't have the capacity at the moment to overlay attributes maps. However, I'll be working on the attributes map importer in the near future, so I'll do this at the same time. I'll post back here when it's ready for testing.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Importing an image

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi M1013828,

I think we have all the required pieces together now.

I think the first thing you need to do is bake the roads shapefile into a large RGB bitmap, where the roads are one defined colour and everything else is some other colour. The bitmap must be exactly the same dimensions as your attributes map.

Next, you'll need to download and install L3DT Pro v2.9 build 10, which includes an updated attributes map importer plugin. The installer is on the pro downloads page now (consult your sales/registration receipt e-mail).

Next, you'll want to copy a backup of your attributes map somewhere, in case this all goes south on us.

Then, you'll need to create a text file containing the following data:

Code: Select all
R, G, B, Climate, Land type
90, 70, 80, "Artificial", "Asphalt",

Please set the R, G, B colour values to the colour of the road in your bitmap, and save the file somewhere with a '.txt' extension.

Finally, in L3DT, with your project loaded, select the 'File->Import->Attributes map->From colour map with palette file' menu option. This will then ask you for the filename of the bitmap image and the palette text file. Thereafter, it should load the image and bake just the road onto your existing attributes map.

Please let me know if you find any problems.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support