L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Green in my desert

Got a problem or need advice?

Green in my desert

Postby MDynna » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:55 am

I'm using L3DT to create a texture for an imported heightfield, using the Desert Climate. Everything is great except that the texture generates spots of green all over the texture map. I assume this is vegetation that L3DT has drawn on the map, hwever, I don't want it on the texture. We're going to be importing the texture to cover a map in a 3D game engine and we would like to use that engine to place any foliage. Is there a was to prevent the green spots from being generated on the map?
MDynna
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:05 am

Hi MDynna,

Could you please post a screenshot of the problem, or else e-mail one to aaron@bundysoft.com?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby MDynna » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:19 pm

I don't have a place to upload the images to, so I'll email them to you.
MDynna
Contributing member

Postby MDynna » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:44 pm

I did some experimentation and I'm thinking now it has something to do with not having a Lightmap when generating the texture.

What I really want is a texture with no shadows on it. I tried creating the Light Map and un-checking "Cast Shadows" but the resulting Light Map and Texture sure look like the shadows are still cast.
MDynna
Contributing member

Postby DeathTwister » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Hay new brother to L3DT,

MDynna Wrote:
I did some experimentation and I'm thinking now it has something to do with not having a Light map when generating the texture.

What I really want is a texture with no shadows on it. I tried creating the Light Map and un-checking "Cast Shadows" but the resulting Light Map and Texture sure look like the shadows are still cast.

Yes you need to un-check the cast shadows box so not to make shadows in your map. But also you need to set your SUN at high noon for the time of day at 180 degrees (Direction), and set your other one (Elevation) at 90 degrees so all are strait up and down for the least amount of shadowing. But you still may want to keep shadows turned on as it does give it a smack of bumping which can come in handily sometimes and does add a flavor to your terrains in game. But that part is suggestive all in all. Don't forget to turn the water off in the light map as well.

Hope that helps you some brother and welcome to the community, it's an awesome one here.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:36 am

Hello,

Are you using a custom climate? From the screenshots it didn't look like one of the standard climates. In this case, I'd check that all the textures are OK. If you're not sure, e-mail me the climate file and I'll check it out.

MDynna wrote:What I really want is a texture with no shadows on it. I tried creating the Light Map and un-checking "Cast Shadows" but the resulting Light Map and Texture sure look like the shadows are still cast.

Shadows aren't cast when the option is disabled, but the regular bilinear lighting will still make dark patches facing away from the sun, which will look a bit like shadows.

To get a fully shadow-free texture your options are to un-check the 'use light map' option when generating the texture (thereby removing all lighting), or else set the sun elevation to very high (eg 60-90deg), as suggested by DeathTwister.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:23 am

Whoops,

I just noticed this in the default desert climate - It's a problem with strata overlays. This will be fixed in the next release.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Correction: it was an int->byte range-clipping problem in the standard texture combiner (not the per-pixel one). What you were seeing was the red value going larger than 255 and wrapping back to zero, making what was yellow become green. This has been fixed for the next release.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support